Gathering photos/stories from 763rd BS or nearby. Father John Britto was BTG on B-24's

Discussion in '460th BG - Spinnazzola' started by John Britto, Feb 18, 2017.

1. John Britto

John Britto New Member

2. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Airwar,
    Thanks for those obits. Fascination to read some of those. I can't believe some of these guys survived 50 missions! I was check the names against the rough crew roster I have from my father, just in case. I say rough because he highlighted 14 names in the main 460th roster and I know that's too many. And one is listed as KIA. I assume some were friends.

Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  3. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Lucky, No I don't know about the gap. I noticed it too. He had said once that he had been somewhere in North Africa, but I don't remember any details, and found nothing in his stuff that referenced it.

4. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Oh, it looks like 25Kingman45 may have found it. He transposed the numbers in the first date in that handwritten list.

5. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

You can call me Scott, Airwar is Jaap (pronounced Yap - those Dutch), and Lucky Partners is Hal.

Airwar and John Britto like this.
  6. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Scott,
    Can't thank you enough for all the great information. I thought it would take a long time to get this info, if I ever got it at all. JB

BMBazooka and 25Kingman49 like this.
  7. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Have to admit I'm just starting. I still need to go through Bohnstedt's book, and that's really all I have other than my father's belongings, and what I have gathered just this weekend. JB

8. Randy Morgan

Randy Morgan Member

Hi John,
    I'm having the same trying to finish my research too. Just not having luck finding the last few bombers and crews on my project, but I'll keep digging and also for anything on your dad!
    Randy

Airwar and John Britto like this.
  9. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Ok.
    Some books which might be helpful concerning the 460th/763rd Squad:
    Edward James Devney (Hrsg.): Pictorial highlights from the history of the 460th Bombardment Group (H) United States 15th Army Air Forc (can send you the pdf.)
    Linda Audrey Kantor: Emil's Story. Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot, o_O. 2012
    Walter Mattson: Lone Wolf. In Enemy Skies, 2011
    Lerow W. Newby: Target Ploesti. View from a Bombsight 1944, o. O. 1983
    Jule C. Spach: Every Road leads home.Memoirs of Jule C. Spach. Chapel Hill 1996

10. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Thanks, that's helpful. ;)

11. John Britto

John Britto New Member

Don't know if I saw this, or responded, but thank you for this list. This site, and all of you, have gotten me miles ahead of where I was in a very short time. JB

Randy Morgan and Airwar like this.
  12. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

You are welcome!