1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Folded Wings AAF Forom

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Airwar, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the interested threads on this forum. I knew this forum has after the fatal crash no long life. It was managed by a few experts and two Most Honored Veterans ( Bill & Jim )
    I wil look for an another forum, probably 12 o'clock high ; http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/

Scott Burris thank you for all the years you lead and serve this forum.
    I wishing you all the best and succes with your family and business

Take care everyone and hoping to see you in another AAF World.

Jaap Vermeer MDE

25Kingman49, tonystro, RSwank and 4 others like this.
  2. billrunnels

billrunnels Active Member

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.
  3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Agree with Jaap. Sadly it has been painfully obvious that this project was in an unrecoverable spin. Over many years there have been interesting people asking interisting questions that were researched and answered by our amazing crew of 'volunteers'. But all the interesting questions have been asked and answered, and most of the regular participants have left the scene, in one way or another. There are many who will be missed, several who will not. Thanks for the ride Scott, been an interesting journey.

4. tothfzs

tothfzs Member

Dear Sirs!
    I'm so sorry, that it is over, very grateful to everybody who helped me.
    Thank you very much!

Airwar likes this.
  5. Aidan Mc Carthy

Aidan Mc Carthy New Member

Well well, this is sad news indeed, a day would not go by without my looking through "new posts". Whilst I visit a number of sites of interest to me every day, I must say this particular forum has a rather special friendly, inviting appeal to me always... Thanks for the memories.....
    "For of all sad words of mouth or pen,
    the saddest are these it might have been".......

Airwar likes this.
  6. Raphaël

Raphaël Member

I am very saddened by this bad news!
    I have learned so much, and I have always been delighted with the answers and information of the exceptional people on this site!
    Thank you all.

Airwar likes this.
  7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Raphaël likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

This is extremely sad news indeed. Even in this final version of this AAF Forum it still provided a strong and reliable research service for people seeking information about relatives and others who served in the AAF during WW II.

Sadly there is no other forum or blog on the internet that even comes close to this AAF Forum even in its current state. The camaraderie with fellow researchers and members on this forum will be sorely missed.

I almost wish it was feasible to continue this AAF forum under new ownership/management but this is likely not practicable.

In the meantime, before the AAF Forum door closes there are a number of threads on this forum where a rather large amount of time was devoted by several members in the research of several topics. It is recommended to those who wish to not lose this content it be saved page by page on the Internet Archive, please see Save Page Now here:

https://archive.org/web/

Thank you Scott Burris for your steadfast leadership of this forum for an incredible Two Decades! You will be remembered by me as the very best Benevolent Dictator any forum or blog could be blessed to have as a leader. Your hands on the yoke of this ship has guided this forum thru good times and very stormy weather always moving forward with steady control. I wish you the very best success in everything you do beyond this AAF forum.

Scott M

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    Raphaël, Airwar and RSwank like this.
  9. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dear All, I have send Scott Burris an PM if it is posible to took over his domain-name and the AAF.com.
    Iam not an realy computer expert but my son Hessel ( Naval Officer ) will participate in this forum.
    When I receive no answer or willing to took over this forum,we will try to start a new forum in the line
    of the old forum. I will keep you inform,

Jaap

10. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Member

This site and all of the shared knowledge here has helped me in more ways than I can relate in the search for my uncle 's body from a crash site in France. While sadly we have not yet found him and two other missing crewmen, the search is still proceeding, officially and unofficially. Without the knowledge of some of you here that has been passed on by me to the DPAA, I honestly believe that the search would have been given up a few years ago. Take pride in knowing that you played a part in keeping the hunt going. I truly believe we will succeed one day in bringing these men home. Thanks to you all.

25Kingman49, Raphaël and Airwar like this.
  11. billrunnels

Airwar likes this.
  12. billrunnels

Scott.........Participating on your forum has been a wonderful adventure. Being able to chat with 303rd WWII alumni and others has been informative and stimulating. Memories galore. Thank you for making my web site part of the forum. Your tireless effort has not gone unnoticed. Thank you my friend.

Warmest regards,
    Bill Runnels

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Behind the Bars, we still working to keep the Forum in the Air. Please send me your name ,nickname by email
    if you want to keep informd about wereabouts.
    All your information will be secure and we keep you informed of the results.

greetzz from Holland,

Jaap Vermeer MDE - beervanvermeer@kpnmail.nl

BMBazooka likes this.
  14. dennis_burke

dennis_burke New Member

Jaap.. Did Scott respond to your offer above to take over the forum?

This was sucesfully done on the rafcommands.com site. The original owner passed it on to a team of forum users a few years back

25Kingman49 likes this.
  15. 25Kingman49

16. Darrell

Darrell New Member

I'm not a regular poster, although I check the forum regularly. Several years back, members here assisted me tremendously on one of my research projects, and for that I am grateful. Thanks to Scott for maintaining this excellent forum for so long. Hopefully it can be kept going in some way, shape, or form.

Darrell

17. billrunnels

Does anyone have a list of other sites they are working? I tried 12 O'Clock High and it is a mess. Much to hard to navigate etc.

18. 25Kingman49

Hello Bill,
    It will be nearly impossible to find this AAF Forum experience elsewhere. I have PMed Scott Burris about alternatives rather than closing this site with zero response. I still hope this current AAF Forum can move forward under new ownership/management but this may not be practicable for any number of reasons.

Try this site for a test flight:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/

Again nothing will replace the feel and experience of this AAF Forum in my opinion.

Scott M

19. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dennis,Scott & Bill, I send a help requist to Doug Rapp. I think he is the men who can saved
    this forum for the future. Mike Simpson,Luc Vervoort offer their help to.
    But we need patience. We have 7 weeks to go when Scott Burris touch down the forum.

Together we can fix the job.

Having a nice weekend,

Jaap

20. billrunnels

Thanks I will give it a try. However, I don't expect to find any that even come close to our Forum.

BMBazooka and Airwar like this.