1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Tiger Colors

Discussion in '23rd FG' started by Carl Molesworth, May 6, 2016.

1. Carl Molesworth

Carl Molesworth New Member

I’m pleased to announce the publication of my new book, “Flying Tiger Colors, Camouflage and Markings of the American Volunteer Group and USAAF 23rd Fighter Group, 1941-45.” It’s the first title in the new Warplane Color Gallery series from Model Centrum PROGRES. While focused on camouflage and markings of the groups’ P-40s and P-51s, the book also includes a concise combat history, 120-plus photos, 21 color profile illustrations and the most extensive list of assigned aircraft serial numbers I have ever compiled. The book will be available May 19 from Amazon and other sources.

Attached Files:

2. ChuckC

ChuckC New Member

Pre ordered!

3. Carl Molesworth

Thanks, Chuck. I looked at your web page on "Lope's Hope 3rd," and it blew me away! Not only are you doing an incredible restoration, but you have picked an outstanding markings scheme for the plane. Don Lopez was a great guy and played a key role in getting my aviation writing career started. I wish he could see what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC New Member

Thanks for the kind words Carl.

Everything I have heard about Don Lopez echoes your statement that he was a great guy. His son and granddaughter have been very helpful.

Warren Pietsch and some of the others from Texas Flying Legends knew him and that's a big part of the reason for doing his color scheme.

Now if you'd just do a book on the 5th Air Force with a picture of the P-47 we are doing, I'd be all set!

5. Carl Molesworth

Chuck -- I looked through all my photo files etc., but I couldn't find any clues to your P-47. Sorry.

6. ChuckC

ChuckC New Member

Hi Carl,
    Thank you for looking. It has been a tough nut to crack!

There may be no image, but I 've eventually found one for the other four restoration projects I have researched, so I'll keep looking.

I'm looking forward to reading your book

Thanks again
    Chuck.

7. ChuckC

ChuckC New Member

I think Carl posted the article for me because it mentions Donald Lopez. AirCorps Aviation is doing a P-51C as Lope's Hope 3rd, his color scheme and he was 23rd AF, one of the subjects of Carl's book.
    I am doing the research for them on it.

I do have it downloaded now in case you still wish to delete it.
    Thanks Carl!