EXPOSITION DE L'AVIATION AMÉRICAINE AOÛT 1945

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by terveurn, May 11, 2017.

1. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Great video showing the aircraft under the Eiffel Tower in 1945

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Numerous still photos out there too.

EIFFEL B-17.jpg

EIFFEL 2.jpg

EIFFEL 3.jpg

BMBazooka and Airwar like this.
  3. Mutley

Mutley Member

Lovely picture of 42-107664, PN*A, "Je Reviens" of the 449th BS, 322nd BG.
    Interesting to note that 86 mission 'Bomb' symbols show, although there is claims that it flew 103 missions!?
    Note the "Flak" patches!! One under the armour plate; and a second just behind the cockpit window! A close shave for the pilot there!?

I'll guess that the B-17, "Duration Plus", must be from the 96th BG, 3rd Air Division, 8th AF (Square - 'C') tail identifier! Which is seen in the rear right of the other B-17 picture! With possible a B-24 of the 453rd BG, 2nd Air Division, 8th AF, behind left! Would this mean that the other B-17 is from the 1st Air Division (Triangle - (Unit Code!))!?

Makes me wonder what other ground pictures are out there, and what other aircraft can be confirmed!

Mutley. B-26 Marauder historian

4. Lucky Partners

Mutley,

Google "B-17, Eiffel tower". You'll get a bunch of hits.

5. Mutley

Mutley Member

Thanks. I just took a quick look and note that Getty Images show the B-26 as being a B-17!!!! Doaah!! It would be interesting to have put package guns on a B-17 however!!

6. Lucky Partners

Yeah, noticed that, there are others also misidentified. Tough getting good help these days!
    Package guns on a B-17, would be interesting! With all the experimental mods they tried they might have actually done that one. Who knows?

7. Mutley

Mutley Member

Yep. In this day and age with so much information easily available it can be hard to find the truth from all of the fiction, or is that "Alt Facts"!?, anymore!
    When you have the privilege to meet the REAL people, who can REALLY be proved to have done certain things however it is quite humbling!
    At a reunion some years ago I took a picture of a former pilot talking to some Boy Scouts. The picture is priceless! They are completely enthralled as he describes a fighter attack. He had flown 88 missions in B-26's. Flying 56 missions as a Co-Pilot, and later getting to transition to being a full Pilot. Most of his original "Don Stangle" crew were lost on the 23rd December 1944. He was about to finish his 65 mission tour, he actually flew mission 64 on the 15th December! with the 65th on the 24th December, so he volunteered to remain. It took him about 40 years to talk much about his experiences, even to his wife!, but when he did, you really wanted to listen!!
    RIP - Richard M. Crummett, Major, USAF, retired!

Mutley

8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

9. Mutley

Mutley Member

You will note that Findagrave states 92 missions. This is probably due to the simple error of adding in two appearances in the Air Crew Load Lists (ACLL's) on the 5th June and 10th June 1944; and a 'Diversion operation' undertaken on the 19th April 1944 as "missions", which they were not. I do stand corrected however as he DID fly 89 missions. His other mission was on the 8th July 1944, when he flew as Co-Pilot to the Group commander, Col. Richard T. Coiner, in A/C 42-96136, X2*Z, "Luck Star", the data for which I have listed under the 596th BS, not the 598th BS!
    Nobody is perfect, so I do expect to find one or more anomalies in the 57,000+ Excel line entries that I have, just for the 397th BG ACLL's.

Back to 'Work'

Mutley