Does Anyone recognize the men in this photo?

Discussion in '99th BG - Tortorella' started by Doromicmac, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Doromicmac

Doromicmac New Member

I think that the GI without a shirt is my Dad, S/Sgt Robert (Mac) McCormick.
    99th BG, 348th BS. I would be grateful if anyone has information about the men in this phot

Many Thanks!
    300127_171993879621370_1456819392_n.jpg

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Do you have more specific information like birth,education,place e.c.
    Then its easyer to research,

Jaap

3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

To add to Jaap's comment. Without more information it is difficult to do this. Was your father on a flight crew or was he ground crew? If flight crew, do you know the names of any other crewmembers or the pilot. Do you know your fathers serial number, dates of service, etc. Even the names of planes he flew on can help. The 99th BG does have a website but not an extensive photo collection.

4. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Just his name adds to the difficulty of tracking him down. The files at the National Archives show 130 men named Robert McCormick who enlisted during WWII. And that list is known to be incomplete. Knowing his middle name or initial as well as his year of birth and the city and state where he lived when he enlisted might help pare down the list. As mentioned above his serial number would enable positive ID.

What is the source of this picture and is there anything in particular about it that connects it to your father? Curious because they are standing in front of a fighter plane, not a bomber. Also the man without a shirt appears to be older given his receding hair line. How old would your father have been in say 1944?

5. Doromicmac

Doromicmac New Member

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your comments about the photo I posted!

I came across this picture on a Facebook page entitled "From Foggia to Freedom" which is linked to Brandon Soales book by the same name.
    I asked Brandon about the source of the photo and he did not have any information. The GI without the shirt bears a striking resemblance
    to my father. Much of the information I have is from my father's service records. (slightly burned.) Born on March 6, 1906 in Bloomfield, CT, Robert Keating McCormick was drafted in the spring of 1942. He trained as a radio operator at Scott Field, moved to Walla Walla, WA and Florida. He was deployed by ship to Oran in the fall of 1943 with the 99th BG/ 348th BS. He moved to Foggia/Tortorella and served there until his discharge in October, 1945.

When I was growing up, my father spoke of only a few aspects of his service: sandstorms, cold nights, resting on the Isle of Capri, Padre Pio
    and an audience with the Pope. As time passes, I am very interested in learning more about the experiences of all the men in the 99th. In the Diamondbacks book (history of the 99th) there is a chapter that details sections of David Halvorson's diary. David tells one story about a
    mission with "Mac", Hawk and Roberts in 1944 that my Dad told me many times. There was a barrage of shrapnel that ripped past my
    father's head (radio operator position) and one piece that tore straight through the plane - between my father's legs!
    This story in the Diamondbacks is the only piece of the puzzle that I had before I came across this photograph.

Looking forward to learning more from this site about all the men in the 99th!

6. Lucky Partners

99th BG is outside my knowledge but my father did radio school at Scott Field graduated November '43. Photo attached. Your father would have been in an earlier class.
    You can find some of the Scott Field class books at this link:
    http://www.aafcollection.info/items/list.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. Lucky Partners

Here is his enlistment information from the National Archives, including his Army serial number.

Attached Files:

8. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

I found a Robert McCormick who was a propeller mechanik for fighterplanes.
    He was of Altoona,PA.

9. Tom22

Tom22 New Member

Gooday Jaap,

I think the picture was taken in New Guinea for the P-47 has the white wing leading edge “friendly fighter” I.D. for that theater. In the M.T.O. it would have red nose spinner or cowling and yellow wing stripes for the “friendly fighter” I.D.

The whole picture says New Guinea, the men look like they been sleeping in the clothes, its hot, the plane is park on dirt, the typical tropical trees in the background, the Foggia area in Italy is open farm county and you stated that Mr. Soales says he did not know the source of the photo.

My only question is why the white stripe on the tail? It looks to me like the P-47 in the background has the white tail “friendly fighter” I.D. for SWPA. This white stripe marking was the “friendly fighter” I.D. for E.T.O. The fighter groups in the M.T.O. used the tail as a group or squadron marking.

I think this is case of mistaken identity. We all have had that experience.

Best regards,

Tom

Doromicmac likes this.
  10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,

56th Fightergroup had also white markinglines on their tales. I have a photo of the 42-8487 " Spirit of Atlantic City NJ
    of Walker Mahurin with this markings. The Ausies flew also P-47's with 30 RAAF Squadron in Burma. They used also
    a white line on their tale. Why ?? I dont know. With D-Day they used white-black stripes. Will be continue,

kind regards Jaap

11. Rockymt

Rockymt New Member

Dom--Just finishing up my Dad's diary research. I've added meat to it; both men were in the same unit 99/348. at about the same time give or take 2 wks. My dad talked of the same things. You can contact me at tommreynolds@gmail.com. Maybe we can supplement each others work. I am at 72 pages and counting.

12. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

Casual observation: The guy in the middle is wearing British 36 pattern sheepskin lined flight boots turned down. The guy on the right appears to be wearing jump boots or maybe M44 combat boots.

Research note: Don't forget when searching Mc-X; Mac-X or O-X names that some data bases may or MAY NOT include a space between the prefix and the rest of the name---search both ways.