1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Dalhart

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by terveurn, Aug 18, 2017.

1. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Running across a bunch of aircraft - G-35 BO's that went to Dalhart AAF (333rd BG RTU) after Cheyenne.

Not sure if this is a misprint / mistake on the router.

What I am trying to decide if any B-17's were assigned at the OTU / RTU level and not at the Processing Centers (Kearney AAF).

I know Kearney was the POM center in early 1944 (along with Hunter) and the POM process usually took 2-weeks.

From the cards, it is clear that this B-17 (as well as the other like it) only spent 1-2 days at Kearney -- way too short for a real POM inspection.

My first impression is that Dalhart AAF is a mistake (or an initial assignment not taken-up) as Dalhart was closing down the B-17 RTU / OTU and the 333rd was being retasked as a B-29 group. and that these aircraft were sent directly to Kearney and not to Dalhart.

I also have no cards for B-17's being sent to Dalhart then POM at Hunter, All are Dalhart to Kearney.

42-31989 dalhart.JPG