1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Captain Fletcher E. Adams

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by Airwar, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

2. Traugott Vitz

Traugott Vitz New Member

I have conflicting data. Elisabeth M. Yavnai, in her doctoral thesis "Military Justice. The US Army War Crimes Trials in Germany 1944-1947" (2006) prints a huge collection of cases, FINAL OUTCOME included. On p. 305 she mentions the Gustav Heidmann case (#12-1422) and says he was sentenced to death, but the sentence was changed in several steps from Death to Life to 20 years. According to her, Heidmann was paroled in January 1954.

3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

The review of the original case is here, but this does not show the final disposition or outcome. It would not surprise me that (as in many of the Japanese cases) the original verdict was not carried out. While Yavnai's thesis (done for the London School of Economics and Political Science) was at one time available on-line, that may no longer be the case as the links seem to be broken.

http://www.online.uni-marburg.de/icwc/dachau/000-012-1422.pdf

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

6. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Airwar and RSwank like this.
  7. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Well-Known Member

Thats the problem if you work only with the Reviews, not with the whole trial files.
    But who can afford to go the NARA and work through all this bulk of paper? And even if you do so, you never know you got the final stadium, because some of the trial files are lost in the NARA, apart of the Review, like the Fachinger-Flauaus trial. Or they are partly in another record group. Since the detailed finding aids are not accessible without the NARA archivists you can deliver only fragments, as big as they might be.
    In the Fachinger Case I do have the plea for clemency and the parole process only for one of the perpetrators (Deubert). So you can assume, that the others (besides the one who were hanged) accepted the sentence. But it could have other reasons too. And that little bit of information had cost me a little fortune.

Airwar likes this.
  8. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne is there no sponsor who can help you. Probably Doug Rapp his company is willing to do so,you never know.

9. BMBazooka

I am fine, Jaap. I wouldn't like to stay for weeks in the NARA and work my way through all the files. i think i would be lost in a deep depression.
    Too much. To many dead and killed.
    If the internet works I#ll send you a message from the reunion.

Airwar likes this.
  10. BMBazooka

Just a "Hi" from Indianapolis. I had a lot of talkings the last 20 hours and learned a lot.

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.