C47A accident October 22nd, 1943

Discussion in '61st TCG' started by Alex Smart, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,

Details of the accident to a 51st TCS C47A, serial 42-23330 on October 22nd, 1943.
    This took place at Milo AD(?), Trapani, Sicily.
    Seems it ground looped.
    Passengers included an Unknown Naval Officer, Two Unknown enlisted men and an Unknown British enlisted man.
    In regard to these Unknowns , if killed Would they be given an FOD date or be recorded as killed on the day of the crash ?
    However,if I understand it correctly there were no injuries at all.

Thanks
    Alex

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Looks like the full crew list (Moon as Pilot and probably Schlittler as co-pilot) is:

MOON, ROBERT W.; SCHLITTLER, MELVIN L.; EVANS, PETER; VANDER LINDEN, LEWIS L.; GILLILAND, W. P.; NICHOLS,J. J.; NUSBAUM, J. M.; PROKOP, J. E.; BERG, M. J.; SWIGER, T. R.; PETERSON, W. P.; SPOLER, F. S.; KING, W. M.; ZACHARIAH, E. J.; SANTORO, V. V.; UNKNOWN NAVAL OFFICER; TWO UNKNOWN UNITED STATES ENLISTED MEN; ONE UNKNOWN BRITISH ENLISTED MAN

Do you know which men were killed?

3. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    I first thought that the Unknowns meant that they were killed, but on second glance it looks like their names/rank was never known,and not that they were killed.
    Lucky for crew and passengers.
    JB has the a/c still in service up to 1945 and with the 8thAF after this date, so ground loop may not have caused too much damage it seems.
    Alex

4. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Thanks to you both for the replies and contact address.
    Jaap, maybe it better to send me the email address in a pm and delete it from the above post ?
    Alex

5. Ranlew

Ranlew New Member

Hi,
    This may be a little late but here's a little more info.
    I am pretty sure no one was killed in this accident. The pilot was Moon and the ship was named "Sad Sack" of the 15th TCS. He landed too fast which is what caused the accident and was attributed to pilot error if memory serves me. I am sure that Moon lost his 1st pilot status for a while because of the accident. Col. Mitchell was very disappointed with him.
    One side of the landing gear folded under the ship. Not a total loss.
    Cheers......Randy

Airwar likes this.
  6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

There is an Accident Report on this incident, perhaps that would supply the missing information.

moon.jpg

Airwar likes this.