Battle Colors/Vol.VI

Discussion in 'Book Corner' started by skybear45, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Mutley

Mutley Member

I clearly have a misunderstanding of which 'Battle Colors" volume they would appear in, due to the fact that the 22nd BG and the 69th and 70th BS's (38th BG) were operating with 5th Air Force, in the South West Pacific Area (Australia, Fiji and the many other small islands to the East and North East of Australia!), which I would assume would be covered in the Volume 6- China - Burma - India and Western Pacific. I must have mistyped "V" instead of "VI" in my post (# 12 above) So were do you put the boundary for the area described as "Western Pacific", as differentiated by "Pacific Theatre"?

Mutley

2. skybear45

skybear45 Member

Hi Tom,

You're spot-on regarding the ATO tactical markings, and this austere look included a majority of the bomb groups it seems.

Fuselage codes and sometimes cowl rings in squadron colors seem to be just about the extent of it where ZI based combat
    fighter groups were concerned, and this makes perfect sense considering the different needs compared to those in similiar
    units deployed in other theaters. It just doesn't make for a real exciting visual presentation.
    Because of this, I will probably not be devoting much space to this subject in 'BC'-Vol.VII unless I come across some notable
    exceptions.

If you do come any ZI tac markings that seem note worthy, please keep me in mind.

Best regards,
    Bob Watkins

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. skybear45

skybear45 Member

It was all the Pacific Theater (PTO), but 'Western Pacific' is a term often used to indicate that area of operations from which the
    Twentieth Air Force operated once they expanded their base of operations from China and India, e.g. Saipan, Guam, etc.
    There are no (at least to my knowledge) hard-line points of debarkation delineating the 'Western Pacific' per se.

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Personal opinion (others may very) has always considered the 'Western Pacific' the the western zone of the Central Pacific Area 1944 to surrender. As suggested from the Marianas west to Japan. AAF involvement here seems not limited to XX AF/XXI BC particularly during the Okinawa Campaign with participation of the FEAF 5th, 7th and 13th Air Forces.

Map source http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/westpac/westpac.htm
    Pacific Theaters of Operation Map 41-44.jpg

5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The Japanese did not surrender until September 8, 1951 -- what they signed in 1945 was just a truce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Francisco

Technically, Japan and Russia are still at war

WWII in the ETO did not end until the 1990 with the unification of east and west germany

6. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Dave. And I was concerned of my running off topic...

7. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

No problem -- always willing to put others onto the path of goodness and rightness....

8. Tom22

Tom22 New Member

Gooday Bob,

I will kept my eye out for you.

Most are just trainers for the pilots and crews and they probably did not fly the same plane every day thus they did not have any connection with anyone ship and the units forming up did not have time think about unit markings, but they are exceptions like this P-40E of the 65th FS, 57th FG working up at Windsor Locks, Conn. early in 1942.

[​IMG]

All the best,

Tom

9. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Most of the ZOI ships belonged to the crew chiefs -- the ZOI pilots just borrowed them for training

10. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

P-39D 41-6167 Transition training for 21st Ferry Group - Palm Springs AAF. Wing panels, prop spinner, gun bay access door and cockpit door tail yellow

P-39 transition trainer.JPG

11. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Stuttgart AT-10 stuttgart AT-10.JPG

12. Mutley

Mutley Member

Post #25 above states that Russia and Japan are still technically at war!?

Having looked at the treaty mentioned above, which was VERY interesting to read, I then discovered that on the 19th October 1956 the Soviet Union and Japan signed a Joint Declaration, thus technically ending the war between them! It makes me understand why there is still such a fuss over some islands and Taiwan, with China however!

Now I'll just go and get my Bow and Arrows out, as when I revisit England soon I am still under obligation to practice my archery skills! Well that's according to laws written a long time ago, that have allegedly never been rescinded!!

Mutley

13. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The USSR and Japan signed a declaration ending the state of war in 1956, but no actual peace treaty has yet been signed between the USSR/Russia and Japan.

The Russians still occupy the Northern Japanese Islands and a final declaration (or resolution) is mainly blocked by the Kruil Island dispute over four small islands north of Japan occupied by the USSR at the end of WWII.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11664434

14. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

For Bob -- 862nd BS attached to the 55th FG

44-63204 accident 1.JPG 44-63204 accident 2.JPG