1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

B24J forced landing Greatstone Kent England

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Cate58, Oct 8, 2016.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Good to see you have a solid plan with several avenues. The case of Lt William Johnson is somewhat different as he saved the Village of Hamstreet with his sacrifice. You might also want to talk to the Hamstreet committee for advise on how to proceed. Unclear is if Lt Charles W Stevens actions in this case or the deaths of S/Sgt Tom E. Fulbright and S/Sgt Bernard E. Peak measure to this same standard as Lt. Johnson. That having been said, a case could be presented that Lt. Stevens by ditching on the beach saved the village of Greatstone but it is unclear if that is accurate.

Here are some links to the Jolly Fisherman (then and now) seems the current structure existed during WWII http://theromneymarsh.net/jollyhistory and http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4635488
    Great pictures!!! Thank you. At the bottom of your own post there is an image tool bar - on the right is delete for any duplicates you wish to remove.

I did not understand that these locations were all so close together. So during this crew rescue they literally removed them from the beach and across the street to the Jolly Fisherman.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Cate58 likes this.
  2. Cate58

Cate58 New Member

Thank you. Don't think that there was much in Greatstone in 1944 as alot of people had been evacuated to make way for anti aircraft gunners ect. There was a PLUTO line installed to supply fuel for D Day. A Mulberry Harbour is still in the bay a bit further east and there are sound mirrors early radar at the back near the former gravel pits. It was in the 50s and 60s that the houses started to appear along with the holiday parks

3. 25Kingman49

Currently surviving crew members. Unclear if this is even a desired objective of this study. I think every one is accounted for (post 9) except for two. S/Sgt Richard E Black, from his enlistment record he was from North Carolina, born 1921; so he would be 95 if still alive today. This is a rather common name but nothing definite found even pocking around a little on ancestry.com (not my favorite site). The other is T/Sgt Leon J Boersma Jr from his enlistment record he was from Arkansas, born 1924. he would be 92 today. Interestingly I think this is his father Leon J Boersma Sr http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10398740 passing in 1980. Not conclusive but since there is a findagrave listing for his father I would expect one for T/Sgt Boersma Jr if he had passed.

The thought here is finding a crew photo if one exists. The 491st Bomb Group seems to have been a little shy in taking these picture, or in the recording of them.

Cate58 likes this.
  4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I think this "might" be the "Richard E Black". Richard Earl Black, from Davidson NC, born in 1921 died in 1997. Was a vet.

http://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/article_22005728-40a0-5d6f-8d57-19c4d11ef7b3.html

Possibly, Boersma, living in Booneville, AK Has also been known a Leon J Boersma, Jr.

This link gives his age as 90, other sites give age as "about" 91.

http://publicrecords.directory/profiles/leon-boersma.2720324.html

Note that Booneville AK is in Logan County, AK which is where Scott's findagrave link for Sr is buried.

Cate58 and 25Kingman49 like this.
  5. 25Kingman49

Cate58 likes this.
  6. johnnyrocks

johnnyrocks New Member

My thanks to everyone for all the info that you have provided on the crash at Greatstone. I'm the son of Lt. Charles W. Stevens. I first became aware of the original memorial soon after it was created and corresponded with Colon Clayton of Kent for several months. I believe he created the memorial. I had planned to visit the site but was later told it had been taken down. I would line to see it recreated and would be willing to offer assistance. I'm sure I have info/pics that I could share.
    After my father returned after the War, he remained in the Air Force where he eventually died in a B47 crash in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1959. It was a routine mission that encountered bad weather.
    He loved flying....
    Again, thanks for all the info.
    Sincerely,
    John

7. 25Kingman49

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. Cate58

Cate58 New Member

Hi John
    I am now local to the crash site and put a little cross and flags there for November 11th (Remembrance Day in UK) but it's been taken down. I'm going to be contacting the local council's planning dept to see if something more permanent can be put in place. Usual problem posting photo :eek:(

9. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

John some articles about your father,

Jaap

Attached Files:

10. Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson New Member

Thank you for posting these records. I am the grand nephew of Lt. William F Weck. He was my grandmother's brother. For years I've been trying to get his serial number to get his service record and create memorial for him with all his awards and Bombing group. Thank you so very much. Uncle Bill was not talked about around my family. My grandmother helped raised him as she was the oldest of 5. My grandmother, Mary was so saddened. Bill's youngest sister received a photo of Bill sitting in the Bombardier glass. Bill wrote to his sister Ginny. "Don't worry I won't fall out" The flak blast knocked Bill in the plane and my family was able to bury him properly. Bill did not have chidren nor was he married but he did leave behind his fiancee who was devasted from his loss. I believe she never married. Bill was a very handsome man for his time. My grandfather tried to enlist in the Air Corps several times only to be rejected because he was on the design team at Lockheed and helped design the P38 Lightning and other planes. My grandfather was proud of the P38. I still have my Uncle Bill's bible which was given to me by my grandmother. Thank you all so much for keeping the memory of these young brave men alive. Sincerely, Michael Johnson

11. johnnyrocks

johnnyrocks New Member

12. johnnyrocks

johnnyrocks New Member

Cate58
    Thanks for all that you have done and are doing to keep their memory alive. Let me know if I can help in any way.

John

Jaap:

Than you for the articles.
    John

Michael:
    I have a picture of the crew that shows Weck with the others. Don't know how much info you have. Also, do you have a copy of the 491st BG book...The Ringmasters?

John

13. 25Kingman49

The forum image upload size has recently been increased to a max of 2 MB.