1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

B17 42-40014 lost 3-3-1944

Discussion in '92nd BG - Podington' started by trixie123, Jan 3, 2016.

1. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Trixie, there is a lot of controversy concerning this photo. See this link, which identifies it as the crew and the crash as of 42-97083, "Flatbush Floogie" from the 452nd BG.

http://www.301bg.com/varner_lee_v0692_301bg.cfm

The photo appeared in foreign newspapers soon after the crash happened and then got reproduced in many US papers. Many US familes thought they could identify missing family members in the photo.

This link shows it in a Dutch newspaper from June 1, 1944.

http://www.hetutrechtsarchief.nl/collectie/kranten/un/1944/0601

Down toward the bottom of the page on this next link is a series of photos taken at the same time. Unfortunately they state the date of the loss of 42-97083 incorrectly. The plane was actually lost April 11, 1944. (4-11-44, in mo-day-yr notation) , not 4 November 44, they screwed up the mo-day-yr order on the date in the write-up on the link below. But the complete set of photos is interesting. (Scroll down near the bottom of the page.)

http://www.626-squadron.co.uk/willem20.htm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. trixie123

trixie123 New Member

Well looks like a mystery ? its a shame crew was not photographed next to the plane ! I guess people see who they want to ? Will keep looking for 42-40014

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. trixie123

trixie123 New Member

Goshy was wounded 2 months prior to being MIA not in july 1943 like I thought earlier ??? not sure when he left 379th and what group or plane he was wounded on !!

Attached Files:

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

5. trixie123

trixie123 New Member

Email sent ! thanks

6. trixie123

trixie123 New Member

Received some info from 379th BG assn . John Goshy flew 6 missions as tail gunner with Willis Carlisle crew as original member of this crew from May 29 - July 4 1943
    Flying missions 1,2,4,5,6 and 9 may have flown more but these are the documented missions with Carlisle crew no reason why he left crew ?

7. trixie123

trixie123 New Member

got an Email from Pittsburg library system stating this is goshy from their wwii clippings ! finally a pic wish I could find pic of B17 they went down in ! also last guy looks like Goshy in propaganda pic I guess only God knows for sure who is in that picture !!

Attached Files: