B-24H # 42-7554 Plaqeutte

Discussion in '445th BG - Tibenham' started by Airwar, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

B-24H # 42-7554, 445th BG / 702nd BS, 22 December 1943, MACR 15597

1/Lt. John H.Allen P - KIA
    2/Lt.Elwin J.Bevins CP - EVD
    2/Lt. Joseph F.Gill N - POW
    2/Lt. Anthony L.Destro B - KIA
    T/Sgt. John R.Elder E - KIA
    T/Sgt. Oskar Robbins Jr. R - KIA
    S/Sgt. Everett M.Odom G - KIA
    T/Sgt. James C.Owens G - KIA
    S/Sgt.Joseph J.Pavelko G - KIA
    S/Sgt. Harry L.Henry TG - POW

Target Osnabruck,Germany.Damaged by Flak in the target area. Pilot probably attempted to make an emergency landing or ditching in the IJsselmeer but failed in the atrcious weather conditions and crashed at 14.59hrs near the cemetery of Mirns,Friesland,Holland.T/Sgt.Elder baled out when the aircraft turned from
    the IJsselmeer to the coast of Friesland and landed in the water and was drowned. His body was recovered on 26 December 1943 and identified by his paybook,no dogtags were found. All those KIA were buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery at Bakhuizen. 7 KIA, 2 POW, 1 EVD

Allen,Destro,Owens and Robbins received a Group Burial in the Memphis National Cemetery,Memphis,Tennessee.

11 November 2015 at 15.00hrs there will be a plaquette unfeil on the General Cemetery at the Murnserdyk,
    Mirns,Friesland.
    In remembrance of those young men who fought and died, so we can live in Freedom.

Jaap Vermeer MDE

3. Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Anthony and welcome to this forum, to keep the memory alive. Two weeks ago I was on Mirns Cemetery.
    The Frysians did a wonderfull job with this memorial.

regards Jaap Vermeer

5. Thank you Jaap Vermeer

I had a video made and put on YouTube of the event produced by Fred Vogels of Dronten. It is rather long @ 45 min. The beginning is very suspenseful.....

Airwar likes this.
  6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

7. Oh, how nice!
    The members of SMAMF did such a fantastic presentation & commemoration event for our families. I had actually be in contact with Alexander for well over 5 years via emails.

I was very lucky that Fred Vogels was there to record the event and produce a DVD for all of our families. Everyone really loved it and learned a lot from the recording.

Every where I went we were treated so nice by all the Dutch people.

It is very possible that in 2018 I might return to Holland with the Gill family and visit again. And then also go to Leeuwarden for some of the events as they celebrate their 2018 European Cultural Capital event.
    Thanks again, Anthony L. Destro II

Airwar likes this.