B-24 Serial # 42-78350 Nickname: Princess Pat

Discussion in '464th BG - Pantanella' started by tothfzs, Apr 1, 2017.

1. tothfzs

tothfzs Member

I read it on an old forum long time ago an interesting reminiscence:
    The B-24 "Princess Pat" went down just outside Gyor, Hungary. My father, Scott Murphy, was the pilot and his wartime log documents quite a few things. The sequence of events (as told to me) were this: Hit by flak over the target area and dropped out of formation. Feathered #3 engine and headed for home. Could not keep enough altitude to make it over the mountains so my father ordered most of the guns and ammojettisoned. A single Me-109 showed up and realized that the B-24 was helpless. Flew on the left wing of Princess Pat and signaled for the crew to bail out. My dad shook his head and pointed straight ahead. The fighter pilot then flew behind Princess Pat and shot the #1 engine out. He then resumed his left wing position and again signaled the crew to bail out. My father nodded and, over the intercom, ordered the crew to bail out. Nine of the 10 men jumped at that point over Gyor. The fighter pilot then proceeded to shoot Princess Pat out of the air. The Bombadier, Morris D. Keesey, still had his nose guns and was waiting for a shot at the fighter. Many years later he said that his headset was around his neck and he didn't hear the bailout order. Just as the German came into his sights the B-24 lurched to the side and he never got any rounds off. He looked back and couldn't see the pilot's and co-pilots feet and figured averyone bailed out. He bailed out several miles away from the rest of the crew and never got back with them as a P.O.W. My dad knew who the fighter pilot was because of the paint job on the Me-109. I never heard the name, but only that he ended the war as one of the top aces in the Luftwaffe. (Barkhorn??)

No Luftwaffe pilot shot down the B-24, one Hungarian fighter pilot name: Lőrincz Mátyás őrmester ( Sgt. Matthias Lorincz) I ask it if somebody knows the pilot's son possibly let him inform it about this information.

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lőrincz_Mátyás_(pilóta)
    http://www.sagvar.eoldal.hu/cikkek/lorincz-matyas-eletrajz.html

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Princess Pat article

Attached Files:

tothfzs likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

The only Morris Keesey I can find. Two obits

Attached Files:

tothfzs likes this.
  4. tothfzs