B-24 OTU /RTU and Tranistion Training Bases

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by caffeine, Mar 8, 2017.

1. caffeine

caffeine New Member

I am in the process of identifying the subject stateside bases used for this category of training.
    To date I have identified the following AAF's that performed this training: Bruning (NE), Fairmont (NE), Ft. Sumner (NM), Las Vegas (NV), Pueblo (CO), Keesler (MS), Cortland (AL), Liberal (KS), Maxwell (AL) and Symrna (TN).

With so many B-24 experts who visit this forum I would appreciate if my list could please be critiqued. I no doubt have errors in the above and the list seems to me to be too short so I no doubt have missed some bases altogether.

Thanking you in advance,
    JohnV

2. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

1) Do not believe Las Vegas was a B-24 OTU / RTU, believe it was strictly a gunnery school.

2) Easy way of finding out B-24 training fields (actually a cheat) -- goto aviation archaeology and under type of aircraft, put B-24E and you will get a lot of the B-24 training ships that crashed. Copy and down load the table (will be a whole bunch of pages 450 B-24E's listed -- 25 / page) to a word document then sort on home field

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/dbaat.asp?theAT=B-24E&Submit3=Go&offset=0

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Interesting article,

Jaap

Attached Files: