1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

B-24 OTU /RTU and Tranistion Training Bases

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by caffeine, Mar 8, 2017.

1. caffeine

caffeine New Member

I am in the process of identifying the subject stateside bases used for this category of training.
    To date I have identified the following AAF's that performed this training: Bruning (NE), Fairmont (NE), Ft. Sumner (NM), Las Vegas (NV), Pueblo (CO), Keesler (MS), Cortland (AL), Liberal (KS), Maxwell (AL) and Symrna (TN).

With so many B-24 experts who visit this forum I would appreciate if my list could please be critiqued. I no doubt have errors in the above and the list seems to me to be too short so I no doubt have missed some bases altogether.

Thanking you in advance,
    JohnV

2. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

1) Do not believe Las Vegas was a B-24 OTU / RTU, believe it was strictly a gunnery school.

2) Easy way of finding out B-24 training fields (actually a cheat) -- goto aviation archaeology and under type of aircraft, put B-24E and you will get a lot of the B-24 training ships that crashed. Copy and down load the table (will be a whole bunch of pages 450 B-24E's listed -- 25 / page) to a word document then sort on home field

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/dbaat.asp?theAT=B-24E&Submit3=Go&offset=0

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Interesting article,

Jaap

Attached Files: