B 24 crew 460th BG near Tittmoning

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Dec 30, 2016.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I am seeking information on a B 24 crew which was downed near Tittmoning (Bavaria near Freilassing) on September 22nd 1944. 460th Bomb Group. Mission to Munich, Oberwiesenfeld.
    The former mayor of Weiden who stayed with his son at his estate in Meggenthal prevented the mayor of Palling or Tittmoning to forward 11 survivors to the Nazi Kreisleitung (which would have killed the air men). One of them was killed later (or another one, a P 38 pilot downed at the same day, near Bernbichl), by this mayor.
    The mayor of Palling - I am not sure I talk of the same person, assumed name Schedl - was shot by the US troops on May 4th because of the killed US Pilot.
    The assumed P 38 pilot - KIA - was Melvin I. Fernow, MACR 8752, 82FG Vincenzo.
    Thank you !

2. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Got it. Thanks to Josef!!!
    I thought I do not erase this topic though. Might be interesting for others as well.

I would love to have more information, photos for instance.
    Ship is the B 24 s/n 42-50888, MACR 8739 (starts here: https://www.fold3.com/image/28722760) , Armin E. Van Dale Crew.
    The killed Air Man ist Rubin F. Harkey, engineer.

3. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

BMBazooka likes this.
  4. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I have ordered the denazification file of the estate owner and - assumed - the widow of the killed Palling mayor Alois Schedl, a teacher.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  5. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

6. 25Kingman49

Attached Files:

BMBazooka likes this.
  7. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thank you!
    Not much more about the other members of the crew, and the pilot.
    I have sent an e-mail to Mark Linenthals son. The other one, to Roy Downing came back because of a bad mailbox. Thats very bad because I would have loved to get in contact with Betty Kling. It seemes that the Stalag IV POW had some air men with heavy PTSD afterwards.

8. 25Kingman49

(2nd Lt. (N)) later Dr. Mark Linenthal Jr. PhD findagrave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=160223820 lengthy bio (noted here shot down on his first mission). Difficult to believe the Nazis missed killing him given his faith.

Postwar interview not related to WWII. Certainly never lost, or regained his scene of humor.

9. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I have no details yet, why Harkey was killed. He had the first name "Rubin", but maybe it was just bad luck to get in the hands of the wrong person.
    There is a phone number of the mayors son still active, but it cannot be him, maybe his wife or relatives. I will try that on sunday.

10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

article

Attached Files:

11. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thanks!
    Heydekrug and Gross-Tychow are missing. Gross-Tychow was ready I think in June 1944.

12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Harkey article

Attached Files:

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Jacob Feagles

Attached Files:

14. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

James Solsman

Attached Files:

BMBazooka likes this.
  15. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thank you very much. Is there more on Feagles story in part 2 of the newspaper article or does it end?

16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne no relevant information

17. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thanks! And thanks for the mug shot!!!

18. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I have just spoken to the grandson of the Weiden Mayor. He knows nothing about the aviator story but is very interested to help. Since he lives there it could be a big help. In his understanding a lot of these old stories were kept as a secret.

Airwar likes this.
  19. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne I think I found the name of the men's name. The files are to big,so send it in private

20. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

The Denazification file of Schedls widow is lost.
    But I get assistance by the same Munich journalist who was a great help in the Greene case. He will publish an article about the case and ask for information.