B-17 found in germany, do you know the pilots name?

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by chris1, Sep 4, 2016.

1. chris1

chris1 Member

2. chris1

chris1 Member

eugen told me on the phone right now,

that the printed newspaper report is more extensive, than the online variant.
    i will recive a scan one of the next days, then you will see more.

the memorial plate plans are going on. text is in translation into english and fresh by now, so it will be in three languages.
    craftsman is planning a roof upon the plate for the wheather.

25Kingman49 and BMBazooka like this.
  3. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Chris,
    Thank you for sharing. Sometimes these online articles disappear, so have saved them to PDF (attached) in both Deutsche and English. Some German words do not translate well so I helped them along, hope this is accurate.
    Scott

chris1 likes this.
  4. chris1

chris1 Member

thank you scott :)

today i can give the paper version into the forum

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 and RSwank like this.
  5. Linda

Linda New Member

The information about my father, William Rambo, is not accurate. He did NOT serve in the Korean War.

6. 25Kingman49

Thank you, Linda. I have edited my English translation version of the Clemens Herrmann article in post #223 (and added it here) which erroneously claimed that your father served in the Korean conflict. Sadly there is nothing I can do to repair the original German article. However you highlighting this error is most important should a memorial be established in
    Schutterwald, this error will not be repeated there.

Your fathers Findagrave Memorial is here https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=49352834 I left a candle lite.

Attached Files:

7. 25Kingman49

Unclear if this helps any McErlane Crew family members or participants of this thread. There have been several instances where this photo has been moved forward thru this thread, with caption added below. I have taken the liberty to combine the McErlane Crew photo with crew member name and position caption included. Two variants A and B only difference being the font size for crew names and slight difference in cropping, not sure if one is better than the other so both are offered. I hope the photo credit citing is proper and accurate.
    McErlane Crew photo w-caption(A)
    McErlane Crew photo w-caption(A).jpg
    McErlane Crew photo w-caption(B)
    McErlane Crew photo w-caption(B).jpg

8. chris1

chris1 Member

Sorry about this. i am afraid, they mixed up the story.
    i sent this information to the historic society of schutterwald, hoping they will correct the article and not repeat the mistake on the memory plate.

9. chris1

chris1 Member

... response from clemens (schutterwald historic society) ->

memory plate and speech will appear correct.

(unfortunately the article cannot be changed retrospectively.)