1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Aviator Murder - Canadian Investigation Team

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Nov 23, 2016.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Well-Known Member

I#d like to ask for ideas or comments where I could try to locate files of the Canadian investigation Team mentioned below. The background: The murder of the assumed canadian airman James M. Greene in Pullach, July 19th 1944. The airman was American but there was a Canadian team which has or had files i am searching for.
    Thank you!

upload_2016-11-23_10-27-5.png

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

A possible way to start. There is a book about Canadian War Crime Investigations called:

"Casual Slaughters and Accidental Judgments: Canadian War Crimes Prosecutions 1944-1948" by Patrick Brode.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.3138/j.ctt15jjf1r

You may be able to contact the author (through the publisher) and see if he could give you a lead on the "Canadian Investigation Team" and the records you seek.

His book is available used (not sure about overseas shipping) at various locations, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Casual-Slaughters-Accidental-Judgments-Prosecutions/dp/1442652330

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cas...Google_&sourceId=PLGoP23710&k_clickid=3x23710

BMBazooka likes this.
  3. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,

Is there anything that can tell us of those convicted of murder in the Caribbean, Pacific/Australia and New Zealand or the Interior Zone of the US by US Servicemen in WW2 ?
    The names of the 96 hung/shot in Europe are known.

Alex

4. Dwilma01

Dwilma01 New Member

Those courts martial records probably lie in the archives of the bases where the cases took place. For example, the records of prosecution of 43 African American soldiers charged with riot and manslaughter were in the Fort Lawton files. Author Jack Hamann (On American Soil: How Justice Became a Casualty of World War II. Seattle: University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-98705-7.) can offer his experience. Helpful archivists found the investigative file buried in the base files. I tried a search of the Historic New York Times, but did not come across any capital cases other than in Europe or Asia, 1940 to 1946.

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Alex on Fold3 you will find a lot of cases about War Crimes of the Japanese against Allied Flyers.

Attached Files:

6. Dwilma01

Dwilma01 New Member

This is an editorial.

7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member