1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

August 1944. Hungary, unknown 15 AAF squadron.

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by tothfzs, Aug 21, 2017.

1. tothfzs

tothfzs Member

?? August 1944 John R. Bender (1327 S. Wilton St. Philadelpia ASN:?) and George Kirchoffer (3604, Clay Ave St. Louis ASN:?) bailed out Hungary and then went to pow's.
    I searched MACR Fold3 and NARA, POW record, but I did not find out which one 15th AAF squadron and A/C.
    I was searching even earlier unknown crew members (23 august 1944. 2nd Lt Harry N. Fogel (O-1542881), S/Sgt Samuel L. London (31031716) and S/sgt Francis M. Gardner (33273207) who are included NARA, POW record.
    It is possible that the same unknown aircraft were personnel?

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    tothfzs likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

tothfzs likes this.
  4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

5. tothfzs

tothfzs Member

Dear Sirs!
    Thank you so much for having looked into my question!
    One thing is sure 2nd Fogel, S/Sgt London and S/sgt Gardner there was a time in Hungary, presumably in a hospital or military prison.
    According to an unconfirmed source August 23. 1944. near Poroszló village unknown B-24 crashed. Aircraft unknown crew. 4 KIA and 2 seriously wounded.
    The dead were buried by local residents in the village cemetery later American military cemetery Budapest.
    (This would be a good database or list, that after the war who and where they were exhumed)
    According to the letters found on NARA's side, Bender and Kirchoffer Land near another settlement (Nagytétény) in Hungary.

Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

7. tothfzs

tothfzs Member