Army Air Forces 8th Air Force mug....from old site

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Help' started by crj2, Jun 25, 2017.

1. crj2

crj2 New Member

does anyone know where I can get the graphics for a new Mug. Purchased one thru the old website and it is broken....used too much. Cafe press does not have the graphics and would like to order another one. best 8t Air force graphics I have seen.
    Thanks
    Charles R Johnston Jr.
    son of 1st Lt Charles R Johnston
    385th Bomb Group 549th sq
    8th Air Force
    KIA 4-29-1944

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

If the old mug was purchased thru the old forum you may wish to ask Scott Burris about the graphics you seek. http://www.forum.armyairforces.com/members/scott-burris.1/ bottom of the page, click Start a Conversation (the new PM system).

In memory of your father:
    Dave Osborne's Fort Log: B-17G-30-BO-42-31773: Delivered Cheyenne 12/12/43; Gt Falls 20/12/43; Kearney 30/12/43; Presque Is 20/2/44; Assigned 548BS/385BG [GX-M] Gt Ashfield 25/2/44; Missing in Action Berlin 29/4/44 with Charles R. Johnston killed in Action, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Joe Parker killed by hostile civilians (2 Killed in Action); Co-pilot: Owen Walton, Navigator: Dick Glaser, Bombardier: Bill Moffitt, Radio Operator: Jim McLelland, Ball turret gunner: Jesse Collinson, Waist gunner: Will Domer, Waist gunner: Vencil Owens,Tail gunner: Harvey Watts (8 Prisoner of War); enemy aircraft, crashed Gleidingen, five miles S of Brunswick, Ger. Missing Air Crew Report 4456.

30 page MACR 4456 starts here https://www.fold3.com/image/28646289 for those with fold3 access.

It appears to me Lt. Johnston may also have been murdered by Nazi civilians. He was NOT wounded when he left the plane. On the ground he was seen by a crew member unconscious on a stretcher, died soon there after.

1st Lt Charles R Johnston.jpg
    1st Lt Charles R Johnston Courtesy Charles R Johnston, Jr.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Charles is asking our Help to found more about his father and crew. T/Sgt Joe Parker was killed by civilians.
    I allready send Susanne an email about this case.
    Crash is also mentioned in the Book of Stan Bishop/ Jan Hey

25Kingman49 likes this.
  6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Charles three articles. Did you know that your father made an emercency landing April 20th 1944

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 likes this.
  7. 25Kingman49

Susanne,
    There appears to be several German reports involved for this incident: KU-1685, KU-1699, and KU-1701.

Edit: Edit: The IDPF for 1st Lt Charles R Johnston is available via AAM here http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/15820
    Scott

8. crj2

crj2 New Member

not real sure how to reply to all the info. Yes I have most of the Amarillo posings from my Grandmother, she lived in Amarillo and sent them to my mother. Tha photo of Dad on the engine is one I have posted on Google at the Ardennes cemetery , Google earth and a few other placed. I am lucky that I do have a collection of photos Dad took before he was shot down.
    Talked to Bill Domer in 1991 or so a couple of months before he died and he was one of the last to see Dad alive of just before he died. talked for quite a while.
    Searching for his Dog Tag...1 was found with his body ...?? where it is ...Ardennes cemetery no info or help nothing in the KU 1685 file at the national Archives. or at least that is what they told me.... Charles Lundsberg found all of the crew's dog tags at the archives. but not my Dad's

Any ideas where or if it exists...probably the last thing I could possibly find that was my Dad's

Thanks
    Charles R Johnston Jr.

9. crj2

crj2 New Member

yes I did know of he landing I also found another photo of the crash and posted it to the following website along with all the photos of Dad that thought should be preserved. see http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/29161

Thanks
    Charles R Johnston Jr.

10. crj2

crj2 New Member

slow on the uptake....I knew of the Feb 24 1944 crash landing at Honnington what can you tell me about he April 20 crash?? not familiar with any other crashes...?? where and what happened....??

11. 25Kingman49

Airwar likes this.
  12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Scott,I think he is on the left sitting. Great photo

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

14. crj2

crj2 New Member

yes that is my Dad front row left end I sent it to the 385th Bomb Group on facebook and it has been copied and sold on e-bay ......guess that is what i get for high res scans

15. 25Kingman49

Some thoughts and comments on the death of Lt Johnston. After reviewing his IDPF I find it most disturbing that he and T/Sgt Parker (along with a Sgt William N Latta, Jr) were unceremoniously buried in a bomb crater near a rifle range about half way between the Broitzem Nazi Air Field and the village of Timmerlah {without grave makers]; Lt Johnston was at least allowed the dignity of a coffin, where the EM's were not. Normally not even the Nazis were this heartless/barbaric generally finding a church cemetery for interment.

Both the MACR and this IDPF (if the this (AAM copy) of the IDPF is complete) are missing much detail to this event. Having said that all MACR's and IDPF's can vary greatly in content. This IDPF includes no autopsy evaluation of remains recovered, and offers no cause of death (either not included in this perhaps abbreviated IDPF, or no remains autopsy evaluation to cause was performed.

In MACR 4456 there is no commentary as to what crew members bailed out when or where. From a German report we learn Sgt Parker bailed out over Obersickte, about 6 miles S.E. of the Broitzem Air Field. We can "assume" the rest of the crew also bail out across this general area.

There appears to be a conclusion evidenced in the MACR that Sgt Parker was murdered by Nazi civilian. This same conclusion is not made for Lt Johnston (and I wonder why?) Many times in these Nazi civilian murders it is suggested in the German KU-report that the airman's chute failed causing great bodily injury and broken bones. No such content here, Lt Johnston just Died Of Wounds "no explanation", remembering he was okay before he left the ship.

Hopefully more can be learned from the T/Sgt Joe D Parker, ASN: 18216603 case and if any Nazis were ever brought to trial for his murder. Hopefully Susanne can help with that portion of this study. For me there is little reason not to believe Lt Johnston was also murdered by Nazi civilians.

Not always easy to understand where this all occurred, some maps and documents added below to help, understand the initial burial area is just a guess, from the brief map in the IDPF.
    1st Lt C R Johnston; O-802402, IDPF, p.24.jpg 1st Lt C R Johnston; O-802402, IDPF, p.26.jpg
    Overview 42-31773 29 April 1944.jpg
    Broitzem Nazi Air Field; intial burial Johnston & Parker.jpg

Broitzem Air Field, source http://www.forgottenairfields.com/germany/lower-saxony/brunswick/brunswick-broitzem-s347.html
    braunschweig-Broitzem-airfield overlay 2009.jpg

16. 25Kingman49

Thank you, Charles for confirmation of your Dads crew photo.

I am sorry for your experience with this photo being sold on e-bay. There seems no end to the unscrupulous looking to make a buck off of history which is not theirs to sell.

For those of use more history conscious would you caption this crew photo if they are known to you. Back row L to R and front row L to R. merely to document and honor these men who served with your Dad.

Thank you,
    Scott

17. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

42-31773 card -- osbornes dates are off...

42-31773 card.JPG

18. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Gentlemen, I am awfully busy these days including attacks of a Nazi family on me.
    So please apologize that I am not as present as you would like.
    I startet research on the ship after Jaap sent me the mail. it is said in a German Military Forum that the ship crashed into the VW-Works in Wolfsburg.
    is this correct?

19. 25Kingman49

Susanne,
    The MACR only notes once that the plane exploded in air. Unknown where the debris fell. Wolfsburg is 15 mile / 24 km N.E. of where the crew apparently bailed out.

Lt Johnston captured
    MACR_4456_Page_3_42-31773_Lt Johnston capture.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  20. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

The MACR says it fell into the VW plant in Wolfsburg. The Wehrmacht-Forum has a picture of it.
    I went through the thin IDPF.
    More questions than answers.
    If Johnson had been buried in a coffin there must have been remains of that in 1945 or later. It is absolutely unusual that they bring a died air man in a coffin back to the crashsite. Usually they were buried in special cemetarys not far away in a hole.
    Something in this story is wrong.