1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm or Service question .....and another MOS

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by peterDuck, Apr 7, 2017.

1. peterDuck

peterDuck Member

I finally have to ask......

In the process of extracting information from the RZI orders for the 467th BG I've been running across a 'ARM or SERVICE' column in the orders. The entries are for officers only. The entry is typically a two letter (although there is at least two that I know of that is three letters). Am I correct in my following assumptions?

AC - Air Corp
    CH - Chaplin
    DC - Dental Corp
    INF - Infantry
    MC - Medical Corp
    ORD - Ordinance
    SC - Supply Corp

I've search around, apparently in all the wrong places, without success to find an answer. It's not "critical, however, it's nagging at me. If someone knows the answer would you please post.

Also......

I've run across a few instances of an MOS code preceded by P-. For example: P-055

What does the 'P' indicate? I've looked through the TM12-427 manual, and searched around (again apparently in all the wrong places) without finding an answer. I'm thinking it might stand for "preliminary". Someone who hasn't quite qualified for a specific classification?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. Dwilma01

Dwilma01 New Member

The abbreviations identify the branch of the army officer assigned to the US Army Air Forces. Air Corps is the most common and other specialties came from other branches. I'm curious about the infantryman in an AAF unit, but in the army anything can happen. I read a memoir by a National Guardsman called up in 1941. He went to Coast Artillery OCS and became an officer. He got so bored with duty in Hawaii he volunteered for flight training and ended up flying B-17s in the 8th. I suspect he carried his CAC branch designation until he got his wings.

SC is probably Signal Corps. There was no supply corps but there was the Quartermaster Corps.

Corps has an s at the end.

3. shaef1944

shaef1944 New Member

Found on a website explaining WWII USMC codes.
    " Until June 1945 when the Navy published Manual of Military Occupational Specialties NAVMC 1008-PD, the Marine Corps generally followed the Army's system for classifying jobs for personnel. As stated in the manual, the Marine Corps often used Army publications for determining military SSN's."
    " Some of the MOS's require a suffix code letter after the SSN to describe the skills of the the MOS holder. For Pilots (Officer personnel), the letters P,T, or E were used to indicate the level of training completed. "

P - Has completed the operational syllabus in type of aircraft indicated by SSN.
    T - Has completed the Marine Corps squadron training program in type of aircraft indicated by SSN.
    E - Has participated as a pilot in organized flight against the enemy in type of aircraft indicated by SSN; or, has completed the Marine Corps squadron training program in type of aircraft indicated by SSN and has completed two year's service as a Naval Aviator.

I assume the Marines followed the Army system here also, only thing is, it describes the letters as a suffix, not a prefix, so ... maybe I'm off base ?

4. peterDuck

peterDuck Member

I apologize for the delayed response.... Life gets in the way sometimes ;-)

I appreciate the responses. David, your correct - it is spelled corps. I knew better. Mistakes happen ;-)

Interesting find Shaef1944. There is similarity in what you've described between the Marines and the Army. I think it's safe to assume that the 'P' I've referenced indicates someone how has done the training for a specific MOS. They just hadn't had the official "recognition" (paperwork hadn't been processed). I know of at least one example where someone was a mechanic and had an MOS of 747 - Airplane and Engine Mechanic. They were "promoted' to crew chief (which had an MOS of 750 - Airplane Maintenance Technician), completed all the requirements, and their RZI orders listed him as P-750 - Airplane Maintenance Technician.

In addition, I reached out to a couple of "our" (467th BG) vets and one of them said I was "spot on" with the 'Arm or Service' column entries. Remember, these are men in their early to mid 90's, however, their minds are still sharp and some of them had extensive military careers. Regarding the comment "....there was no Supply Corps but there was a Quartermaster Corps.." I can't confirm one way or another what's correct. I can add, however, the entries (I have to date) for the men that had 'SC' entered had the MOS codes of '0200 - Communications Officer' and '4000 - Supply Officer, General'.