1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to find an individual flight record?

Discussion in '386th BG' started by Tmac1397, May 23, 2016.

1. Patricia

Patricia New Member

The National Personnel Records Center at St. Louis has Individual flight records. You can either go there your self and look in the reels by last name or you can hire a researcher to search for you. You have a better chance of the record being there if the pilot stayed in the Air Force.

2. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Member

My subject (my uncle) was not a pilot, but was a tail gunner on a bomber. Any idea if these records would be kept in St. Louis?

3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

This record was prepared for all flight crew members, not just pilots. See the sample I posted at the beginning of this thread, that record is for a Radio Operator Gunner.

I was not aware that these were available at the NPRC in St Louis. If you make a request there please let us know the results.

4. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will let you know how it goes.

5. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

6. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Ah, what you are looking for is the crew list. That would more likely ne at the National Archives at College Park. I have been through the bomber reports and they list the crews in the bombing reports (don't know the official name of these reports) If I recall the boxes were by Group and Squadron and then the folders are by targets (city area). If you are not close you can hire a researcher. When you factor in your expenses for going there sometimes it is cheaper to hire a researcher. However, serendipity has been my reward many times which is something you will not get with a researcher. If you are planning on being in the DC area take the time to go and do the research. If you follow the suggestions on their website and meet with an archivist it is very rewarding. Good luck.

7. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Member

Thank you Patricia!

8. Patricia

Patricia New Member

You cannot request them. You have to physically go there and get them, which is a little tricky. Or you can pay a researcher to get them at a cost.

9. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Member