1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Any points of contact left for 34th BG?

Discussion in '34th BG - Mendelsham' started by BAlterman, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BAlterman

BAlterman New Member

I had this thread posted before the forums went down but is there any points of contact left for anyone associated with the 34th BG association or historians? I know Gary Ferrell passed away in 2005 but who is running the valor to victory website? I'd love to maybe contact his family or whoever is running the website and maybe bring the website up to speed. It would be a shame if all that information one day goes offline. I believe my grandfather's plane Gallipolis Special was the same ship as his uncle's later named Sweet Seventeen. Sadly I'll never get to share that with him but thought possibly one of his relatives might find that interesting.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Can you give your grandfathers name,that would be easyer to research,thank you.

Jaap

3. BAlterman

BAlterman New Member

His name is Jasper Paladino. All of the information I have found (including the men he served with) point to the 34th. I was even able to find a letter he wrote that was published in mendlesham memories. His discharge papers however list 96th BG 339th BS on them which caused many years of zero hits for me. My grandmother recently gave me some pictures that opened a lot of doors via the 34th.

I had a parallel thread over on this website here : https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircr...polis-special-quot-96thbg-339th-bs-43683.html with the pictures I have to backup my claim that Galipolis Special and Sweet Seventeen are the same ship.

4. David Kiley

David Kiley New Member

A couple of years ago I made a backup of Gary's website. I wouldn't mind helping with an effort to modernize and preserve the valuable work that Gary did.

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. Balterman87

Balterman87 New Member

Man, had to register another name since the FB link isn't working. Sorry it's taken me so long to check in. A lot has happened this past year. David Kiley, I was actually in talks with Gary's widow to try and update the website and possibly donate copies of his research to the 8th AF museum but ended up dropping the ball due to personal issues. Appreciate the pdf Airwar but that is a James Paladino, my grandfather's name is Jasper. I was also the one who updated that american air museum link for the ship. I think I'm actually close to tracking down the relatives of his friend John Wooten. Hoping they might have some more information for me.

7. David Kiley

David Kiley New Member

BAlterman. The stripe on the front of a 7th squadron B-17 would actually be yellow. I didn't see a Palandino listed on 43-38911 (Sweet Seventeen)'s mission list http://valortovictory.tripod.com/b17s/43-38991.htm Perhaps he never flew on that craft. It spent it whole time with the 34th until it returned home on 6/20/1945.

8. Balterman87

Balterman87 New Member

He was a ground crew chief on the aircraft so wouldn't be listed on the mission list. From my research what I believe happened was prior to March 18th 1945 the ship was named Galipolis Special while with the 391st (green nose band) and then with the 4th (white nose band). My grandfather definitely was the crew chief while it was with the 4th but I'm unsure if he was with the 391st. John Wooten who was his friend and I believe the master crew chief on the aircraft was transferred from the 391st to the 4th so my thought is it's possible my grandfather did as well. Strangely his discharge papers say my grandfather was with the 96th bg 339th sq but I've found that this was not true. Possible he had transferred again just prior to being discharged. I got in touch with some of John Wooten's relatives so I'm hoping they might have some other pictures they would be willing to share that might shed some more light on things.