Aircraft Info

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by cody1947, Mar 30, 2017.

1. cody1947

cody1947 Member

Had this sent to me asking if it was a 379th BG ship. I cannot find any references to it in the inventory. Anyone have a nose art registry or any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Cody, ???? Nothing attached.

3. cody1947

cody1947 Member

Sorry, Thought I had already uploaded.

4. Lucky Partners

OK, that's better. Wallace Forman shows 2 by this name, one in the 94th BG and one in the 487th BG. No serial number for either one. Checked the 379th BG Anthology, nothing in their list for this name.

cody1947 likes this.
  5. Lucky Partners

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  6. cody1947

cody1947 Member

I had already found the 487th BG site and was about to look for her in the 94th. I too could not find her so I messaged them to see if they could check their sources(I included the photo this time).

Thanks for your assistance

7. Lucky Partners

OK, see what tomorrow brings. Always happy to help.

8. cody1947

cody1947 Member

Thought I'd let you know I heard from the 94th BG moderator and their Caledonia was an "F" model.

9. cody1947

cody1947 Member

Well I stand corrected. It is the 487th BG Bird. Caledonia #42-98011 - 487th BG - 838th Squadron. In the photo you first gave a link to yo will notice the nose Art is in a different area but the mission bombs are the exact match in placement. There are other clues that these photos are of the same bird.

10. Lucky Partners

Not to be contrary, but I don't think these are the same plane. Notice the 487th ship still displays the factory applied project markings P38 and 35 whereas our mystery ship does not. Also placement of the mission marks is not unique, have seen many photos with this same basic arrangement. And the mystery ship appears to have two rows of markers above the windows, looks like a heck of a lot of missions. The change in the spelling of the name may or may not be significant but nothing here really suggests to me that this is the same a/c. Interesting nose art though, looks like a bear wearing a cowboy hat and smoking a cigarette.

Caledonia.jpg

Cal-Donia.jpg

Bomber Command and Airwar like this.
  11. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

12. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    My two pence worth,
    The two pictures in post 10 above to me show two different aircraft.
    Apart from the stile of the markings, take a look at the paneling above the nose turret and below the blister gun port, the sizes and shape of the panels are different.

Alex

PS: "B17 Nose Art Name Directory" has the following -
    CALDONEA - 487BG.
    CALEDONIA - 94BG.
    SO yes spellings are also adrift.
    CAL'DONIA

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  13. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    "Heavy Bombers of the Mighty Eighth"
    Page 334, 490 BG/850 BS 41-28882 Cal'Donia
    02 02 44 AI 12 05 44 AOS 00 00 44 G, 00 00 44 489BG.
    Page 210, 489BG,
    02 07 45 Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    Alex

14. Lucky Partners

Alex,

Something wrong with that s/n, 41-28882 would have been a B-24. Can you scan and post that page?

15. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

16. Lucky Partners

Thanks Scott, pretty much confirms 41-28882 as a B-24. Guess you can't trust everything they put in books! No offense intended Alex.

17. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    Well spotted chaps. Book is correct - a B24.
    My error, I thought I was looking at list of B17's but the start was B24's then followed by the B17'starting on page 336 for this Group.
    It is the only reference referencein the book to an a/c with that name Cal'Donia.
    However on page 404 there is B24 Silver Wolf of 490BG listed but with No serial number. On page 336 it gives the squadron as 848th. So which squadron was she with first , 850th or 848th before being transfered to the 489th BG ??
    Alex

Lucky Partners likes this.
  18. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

As the Group used both a/c types would a crew have flown both type of a/c or just stick to one type within the Group ?
    I ask this because two types in the same Group had the same "personal" nick name ?
    Alex

19. Lucky Partners

Alex,

Good question. The 490th began transitioning from B-24s to B-17s in August 1944. Somewhere I heard or read that a pilot was expected to be able to fly anything with wings but as a practical matter there were enough aerodynamic differences between the two types that I would expect the pilots would require a some amount of transitional training. I can't imagine that it would have been fly a B-24 today then fly a B-17 tomorrow. Someone like Jim Peters or Bill Runnels would be the ones who could answer that one.

Airwar likes this.
  20. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The four 3rd AD groups spend about 3-weeks going from the B-24 to the B-17 -- the 486th and 487th were the first two. Last B-24 mission in the first week of July 1944, first B-17 combat mission on 1 August 1944

490th was the third groups to transition -- last B-24 mission early August 1944, first B-17 mission September -- it was followed by the 34th BG.

Many of the B-24 pilots finished their tours in B-17's -- the B-17 was a much easier aircraft to fly then the B-24.

(as a tanker pilot, tried them both and the B-17 was simpler and less demanding)

Airwar likes this.