AAF Career of actor John Carroll

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Anthony J. Mireles, Mar 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM.

1. Anthony J. Mireles

Anthony J. Mireles New Member

Anybody have any information about the war time AAF career of actor John Carroll, also known as Julian La Faye? He reportedly suffered injuries when he was involved in an aviation accident in North Africa. Can't find him in the accident record (not unusual, especially if he was not PIC). Internet search brings up the same old info. Looking for details concerning his service.

Attached Files:

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

There is a photo of him here. There is a zoom button on the left. Looks like he is wearing gunner's wings. The fancy pin on the left, a "ruptured duck" discharge? or something else? Looks like he has the EAME campaign ribbon with one star and the American Campaign ribbon. There may be a third solid color ribbon (left most ribbon). The fancy lapel pins show he was an Aid to a Brigadier General (one star on the shield). What is not there is an Air Medal.

https://familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/13359140

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Anthony J. Mireles

Thanks. Definitely gunner wings. Okay, so seeing is believing. Not a pilot. Thanks. Still very interested in his service overseas.

Glad to be back.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Some Newspaper Clips. 4th Fighter Command was a stateside (West Coast) unit. Morris was commander from March to Dec, 1943. Morris then went to XII fighter Command in Jan 44. I wonder if Carroll went with him.

Carroll.png

15Feb45Carroll.png Carroll-in-BedsideManner.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Here is his arrival back in the states via a hospital ship in July 1944
    . The_Index_Journal_Wed__Jul_12__1944_.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  7. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

• Two more Hollywood gossip type articles. The second seems to imply he was on the staff of the XII fighter command. The first????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  8. Anthony J. Mireles

Wow. Thanks guys.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

When Gen Morris went to XII Fighter Command in Jan 1944, it was based in Algeria. It apparently did not move to Italy (Caserta) just outside of Naples until July 1944.
    So "IF" John Carroll was on the staff, he probably spent most of his time in North Africa, which would explain some of the statements found online regarding Carroll. I think the crash (apparently in Italy) would have occurred in very late March, or in April, May or June, 1944. He came home in a hospital ship on July 12, 1944 and spent more time in hospital(s) stateside.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM
  10. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

11. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Pathfinder504, do you think the pin you found is what he is wearing post #2? That would apparently be the claim.
    Also on the ribbon bars. Is he wearing a 3rd bar (the bar on the left) that may be all one solid color?

I have found a few more articles. One showing him with Gen Morris in Oct/Nov 1943 at a recruiting event in San Francisco.
    Then a couple of newspaper articles that place him in Algiers, Algeria in March 1944. (He was also a singer). It seems odd that given the way he was being covered by the Hollywood gossip columnists, such as Hedda Hopper (he sends her some slippers from Cairo at one point) why there does not seem to be anything written when he actually crashed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM
  12. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Certainly seems to be PF's intention in post #10. When would this have been awarded and was Carroll qualified to wear it. I guess the lower lapel pin "AIDE BRIGADIER GENERAL EMBLEM DUI" fits. War is Hell...
    John Carroll WWII Uniform.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:07 PM
  13. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

Yes--your short article in your last post above gives the provenance of the item.....

As to the coverage...well there "was a war on" as the Brits say. The fake-ish Hollywood news ala "Casablanca" was pablum for the masses rather than the reality of potential death and destruction from an actual airplane crash.

By the way I must add another double search to my comments on Mc's Mac's and O's--space--no space. Two different groupings of name come up when search his real name as Lafaye and/or La Faye---space--no space matters to computer generated databases.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  14. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I wonder if Carroll flew some missions with a French B-26 squadron? It does not appear he was a pilot, but he may have gone on some perhaps "unauthorized" missions as an observer/gunner. There were 6 French B-26 squadrons that were operating as part of the 12th AF. Some, I know, were based in Sardinia. I wonder if any were on Corsica?

Anyone know of any other possible French bomber units operating in the 12th AF? I can't believe they would just give him the Lafayette Escadrille pin, I would think he would have had to "do" something. Or perhaps it is all just Hollywood hype. It certainly appears he was in a noncombat role with his "regular" jobs in the air force.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  15. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM
  16. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

It sounds like it was not "officially" conferred, but rather a "gong" for a famous guy who flew with them. As such it would not appear on a list of awards. The item is not a medal--it is the symbol of a "brevet pilot". "Brevet" Maybe a bit higher on the flying totem pole than our Air Cadet prop and wing hat badge and cuff patch.

"In many of the world's military establishments, a brevet ([​IMG]i/brəˈvɛt/ or [​IMG]i/ˈbrɛvɪt/)[1] was a warrant giving a commissioned officer a higher rank title as a reward for gallantry or meritorious conduct, but without receiving the authority, precedence, or pay of real rank."

25Kingman49 and RSwank like this.