85th Airdrome Squadron

Discussion in 'Ground Commands, Stations, & Bases' started by Marcia Dick, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Marcia Dick

Marcia Dick New Member

Hi,

Anyone out there who served in the Phillipines with the 85th Airdrome Squadron? My father, Irving "Bob" Dick, from Chelsea, Mass., was with the squad. I recently got his discharge papers, but he never talked about what he did during his service. His papers say he was classified as a teletype operator and a marksman carbine. Enlisted Nov. 1942, discharged Nov. 1946. Thank you!

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dear Marcia,

I found a lot of Irving Dick's and they were all Jewish. If your father was also a Jew,you can send a quistion
    to the Jewish Veteran Assn.
    Probably you know his birthplace,year and family whereabouts and his live after the war.

http://www.jwv.org/communications/the_jewish_veteran

Jaap

3. Angela

Angela New Member

Marcia,

My dad was in the 85th Airdrome Squadron and I have a list of members which includes your father, Irving Dick, from Chelsea, Mass.
    Unfortunately, my dad passed away last month so I cannot ask if he knew your dad.

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dear Angela,welcome to this forum. Probably you want share this list,you mentioned on this forum. Thank you.

Jaap

6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

7. 25Kingman49

Angela,

First backing up a bit, welcome to the AAF Forum, sorry for the resent loss of your father. I suspect Hal has found you on the Ken's Men site. Frankly records for the 85th Airdrome Squadron are rare. If you would please scan this record and post here for this forum to better honor your father and the men he served with inside the Fifth Air Force it would be most welcome. On the message board noted by Hal "Lucky Partners" was a reference to Porac Air Strip, this was located on Luzon, P.I. see http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/philippines/porac/ (note the 85th Airdrome Squadron is not included in this record) but we know they were there. If I may ask what was your fathers MOS, (job) in the AAF?

Again sorry for your loss. Is this your fathers obituary, passing March 24, 2017 http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?pid=184714892 and in turn his Findagrave Memorial (yet without bio or photo) https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=178165995 I ask because there is no reference to 85th Airdrome Squadron, Fifth Air Force service in either of these records.

Could this also be your fathers enlistment record https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...tf=F&q=33452548&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=3929994

Thank you,
    Scott

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. Angela

Angela New Member

9. Angela

Angela New Member

Scott,

Yes, that is my father's obituary and his enlistment record. I regret that I did not mention his service and the 85th Airdome Squadron in his obituary. My father was a Tech Sergeant and his MOS was ordnance. He attended the Air Corps Ordnance School in Aberdeen, MD.
    He did not talk a lot about his military service; but, a few years ago I asked him about it because my son, who is currently in the army, wanted to have a shadow box made for him. It was difficult to get much information, because I was trying to act casual so as not to ruin the surprise. In any event, the shadow box turned out beautifully and he loved it. I knew that my dad had attended a reunion or two of the 85th and remember taking him to visit an army friend in Pennsylania. In going through his files since his death, I found a few photos, a list of members of the 85th, and a timeline. It's several pages, but I will try to scan it in for you.
    It's a shame I didn't look at this file a few months ago when he was still here to answer these questions.

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  10. 25Kingman49

Thank you, Angela.
    Good to learn more about you dad T/Sgt Alexander Bolling Bell. I have an affinity with ordnance men (my line of work in the 80's, weapon yields were a bit larger). I do hope you are able to scan the documents that you have related to the 85th Airdrome Squadron. Scanning at a relatively low resolution 100 dpi into a PDF would be best to keep the document size to a minimum.

Also photos of your dad in uniform would be wonderful too, along with any from the time he was in the Pacific Theater. These can be scanned a bit larger but keeping each image below 2 MB for forum upload. Interestingly there seem to be no photos of him available online even though he served in the Maryland State Legislature for a number of years.

Studying your dad a bit more, he was born on 8 August 1921 at Dinwiddie, Virginia. In the 1930 Census he is 8 living in D.C. (G Street. N.W.), older brother George, and older sister Avis, his father Alex Crafton Bell is a carpenter. 1940 Census still living with the family in D.C. (K Street N.W.) now employed by Western Union. His 21 January 1943 Military Selectee record ASN 33452548 was offered earlier, Height: 68 inches, Weight 138.

Postwar at age 25 he married your mother Rita Ann Marie Renzi age 23 on 22 June 1947. Followed it seems by a successful career in the plumbing industry and honorable service in the Maryland State legislature.

I do hope you will share photos of your dad to honor his WW II service. One of Ken's Men who got to come home.
    Scott

P.S. no need to quote a post if only two are communicating; just a waste of space.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  11. Angela

Angela New Member

12. Angela

Angela New Member

Try this link to see my dad.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  13. Angela

Angela New Member

Scott,
    The file I have is very old and scanning would probably not yield a good result. I have retyped the first half of the chronology, but cannot figure out how to copy it to this page. I will work on that. My dad was a pretty low-key kind of guy, so there are not a lot of pictures of him. I will try to post a photo of the shadow box that my son had made for him. As I mentioned, my son is in the Army and I gave him the shadow box after the funeral. One very interesting thing that my dad had were dollar bills that they had soaked and split the front from the back. The idea was that one person took the front and the other took the back, and they would meet up in the future. I do have a photo I will try to scan of a sign they had "The Crawl Inn, Your Home Away From Home." My father brought it back with him from the war and my son has that, too. Also, in these notes, is a very long poem, entitled "The Adventures of the 85th," written by Leno J. Mikenas. Interesting that you mentioned the time he worked for the Western Union. He said he used to sing the Happy Birthday telegrams to earn an extra .25. He loved to sing, as you can see from my previous post.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  14. 25Kingman49

Airwar likes this.
  15. Lucky Partners

Angela,

Scan you typed pages and post them as a .jpg photo here. If you need posting instructions please ask. You can see some posting hints on this thread:
    http://forum.armyairforces.com/threads/post-an-image.1077/

Hal

Airwar likes this.
  16. Lucky Partners

Angela,

Silly me, when you said 'typed' I immediately assumed a hard copy from a typewriter. Shows my age! OK, back to the 21st century. Open the document in Word or whatever word processing program you are using. Highlight the text you wish to copy. Right click and select "copy". Then come over here to the forum, place your cursor at the location where you want the text to appear, right click again and select 'paste' (or hit control V instead). That should do it. And yes, I am assuming (again) that you are using Windows, if you are using a Mac I have no clue as to how to do this.

Airwar likes this.
  17. Angela

Angela New Member

18. Angela

Angela New Member

I typed it into notes on my IPad, so the copy/paste option did not work. I will probably print it, scan it, and upload.

19. Angela

Angela New Member

Here's a photo of my dad at the WWII Memorial.

Attached Files:

Lucky Partners likes this.
  20. Angela

Angela New Member

IMG_3970.JPG Ok, I'm just checking to see if this can be read easily. This is the second page of the chronology. The first page was too large to load, so I will try to break it down.

Lucky Partners likes this.