1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

487th Bomb Group (H) Association and web site

Discussion in '487th BG - Lavenham' started by Lee Hauenstein, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lee Hauenstein

Lee Hauenstein New Member

The 487th Bomb Group (H) is a very active group of veterans, descendants, and other interested individuals. The group has held continuous annual reunions since 1967. These reunions are now held with the 486th Bomb Group (H) which was based in nearby Sudbury England. The groups participated in many missions together during the war.

I invite you to go to the web site at http://www.487thbg.org/ to read more about the group, the reunions and please participate in the discussions that are often taking place on the groups Facebook page (link can be found on the web site.

Lee Hauenstein, webmaster (http://www.487thbg.org/)

AACS45 likes this.
  2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Lee and welcome to this forum. Lets hope people will find your website to keep the memory alive.

Jaap Vermeer MDE

3. Simone Aarts

Simone Aarts New Member

Hi Lee

Is there any info on the bombardment on Enschede Airport / twente airport on august 15th 1944 know to you? The mission belonged to a bigger mission with several primary goals. This is mission 554. I am informed that the 487th has flown a very successful mission that day together with the 486th bomb group on this airport. I just can't find any more detailed info on the 487th any info would be awesome.

Thank you for answering in advance

Simone

4. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Simone

You do know that the AAF Forum is a dangerous place to ask -- you just might get more then you are expecting......

15 August 1944 pg 1.JPG 15 August 1944 pg 2.JPG 15 August 1944 pg 3.JPG

Airwar and Simone Aarts like this.
  5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

6. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

7. Simone Aarts

Simone Aarts New Member

Omg can i Hug you? I just woke up and checked my email. Within seconds you had me out of bed and behind the computer. I am So exited about this new information. And Omg Yes i love dangerouse places if things like this happen.

Reading all this amazing information i even started bouncing on my chair when i saw they discovered a new airfield and what they had seen. i am exited abouted the details on the last two pictures.

Am i right that the circels shown on the map were all the secondary goals that day? And am i correct that the tiny arrows on second map shows the location where the specific mentioned group had to bomb or was it the hole area within the 3 circels?

I also noticed a time difference on both maps. Is it english time and dutch time? And also noticed that there was written photograph 487a/227, 487b/220, 487c/224 is it possible we have photos of the bombing right before, during or after the bombardement? What is the meaning of that collum to the right of the photographcollom? Is it the hight they had flown during the bombardement or during the hole flight or something else?

Sorry for all these questions. Blushes....im really exited cant help it.

Thxxxxxxxxxx thxxxxxxx for all of your time and efforts already for helping me....
    Simone

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  8. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

487th BG overview for August 1944

487th BG August 1944 overview.JPG

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.
  9. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Amazing Dave,great info.

Simone our chairman Ivo de Jong wrote two books about the 487th BG. One of the history and the other a photo history.
    In March 2017 we hold our study day at an Airforce base in Holland,probably you can be there to.

Lucky Partners likes this.
  10. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Jaap,

If I remember correctly Ivo periodically participated in this forum in years past and generously shared his research here.

Airwar likes this.
  11. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Airwar likes this.
  12. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Daniel,

Appreciate the input, unfortunately these reports are not available on line. These links refer to original paper documents held at the National Archives in College Park Maryland. These records have never been scanned to digital form nor have they been copied to microfilm. The only way to view or copy these records is by personally going to the archives or hiring someone to go there for you. These records include the original paper records of most Bomb Groups and are quite extensive. I have had the experience some years ago of accessing these records.

Hal

13. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Need to win the lottery - would hire a couple researchers and have a lot of this stuff scanned just for my use.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  14. Simone Aarts

Simone Aarts New Member

Nods i would have to win lotery as well ....but Some day i Will manage it ......

15. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hal,your right about Ivo. Our StudyGroup is on March 25th 2017 at the old 32nd USAF Airbase,Soesterberg,Holland.
    This year Iam a member for 40 years,started when I was a ''proby'' of 12.
    Looking back, 40 Wonderfull researchyears with lots of visits of American,Canadian and British VETS and family to Nijkerk.
    All years the Stars & Stripes,the Maple Leaf or the Union Jack was flying.
    And to work with such a great researchers in Holland and with you on this Forum is an honor.
    Iam hoping to fill in the next 40 years with all my friends on the globe.

Jaap Vermeer ( Member of the Dutch Empire )

Lucky Partners likes this.