1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

454th BG 738th BS Looking for info on the following. Any help will be appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Randy Morgan, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Randy Morgan

Randy Morgan Active Member

I am doing research on the 738th BS and accurate info is hard to come by on this squadron of the 454th BG.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. What I'm trying to do is compile as much info and data on this to put it in book form for future reference to preserve these brave men's history so they will never be forgotten! It's not an easy task, but I feel since an elderly friend served as tail gunner on Miss Polly/Tuff Nut Tessie 41-29246 in this squadron, I want to learn all the info I can of the bombers and crew along with what positions the crew was on the bomber.

Need info on the following B-24's and their crews. I'm running into dead ends on the sites:
    15th USAAF 454th BG 738th BS:
    B-24H Slipstream 42-64459 MACR is 3520 Pilot was Capt. John E. Porter
    B-24J St. Louis Belle 42-64392 Lost 4-13-1944
    B-24H Buzz Job 42-52252 Need AAIR on Accident
    I'm sure there will be more questions in the future and thank all of those who've help already thus far!!!
    Randy Morgan

Attached Files:

2. Randy Morgan

True Mr. Phil, but on the website fold even though I have a macr and number for slipstream and also 454thbombgroupit.com, it won't open the report. Thank you!

3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

it won't open the report

Randy, please clarify. Have you found the report on fold3 and cannot open it? I searched the s/n, the MACR number and the pilot name and cannot find a report.

4. Randy Morgan

No sir, found it on 454thbombgroup.it but it will not open. I'm going to contact them. Couldn't find it on fold3.

5. Lucky Partners

Hmm, I can't find anything on that site listing MACRs or the fate of the a/c. Obviously I must be missing something. Can you give me a direct link to the report that will not open? Also, what was the date of loss, I'll see if I can find anything on another source.

6. Randy Morgan

Go to the 454thbombgroupit.com go to the list of groups, slipstream is listed on the 738th Bomber Squadron. MARC is showing 3520 but it won't let me open it. See it will let you open the MACR

7. Lucky Partners

OK, found it. Didn't go down that road because it says 'under construction'. So we're looking at Slip Stream II, and I agree that link to the MACR won't open. Date of loss March 19, 1944.
    http://www.454thbombgroup.it/TOTAL LIST DEF1.htm

Dinner guests are knocking at the door so I need to put this aside but will get back on it either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

8. Randy Morgan

Thanks my friend. Go enjoy your guest. No rush on this.

9. Milos

Milos Member

Randy,
    I have some 20 Escape statements of airmen from 738BS.
    Please let me know if you need some of them.

I checked if I have E&E from planes you posted, but found none.
    Although I do have Escape statement from David Millington, who flew in plane #246 (probably 41-29246) - maybe your fried knew him?
    He had interesting evasion.

10. Lucky Partners

Randy,
    Have spent an interesting morning on this but am still basically empty handed. While the a/c list on the 454th web site says MACR 3520 the fact that it is not hyperlinked to the report leads me to believe that while they know the report number they do not actually have the report. This same MACR number is reported by Aviationarchaeology and Accident-reports.com An aside, the list for just the 738th Sq says Slip Stream, not Slip Stream II like the master list. http://www.454thbombgroup.it/738th.htm

Have you ever cruised the 'blank' and 'illegible' pages on fold3? I've got a funny feeling that might be where this report is filed. There are hundreds of them, I've gone through a bunch but eye strain caused me to stop. They ain't marked illegible for nothing!
    If you want to have a look start with the 'Browse' tab and go from there.

browse.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

Lucky,
    Blank folder is searchable.
    I have found several MACRs there through search option.
    Although those reports were not complete.

12. Randy Morgan

I appreciate your help on this. I'm going to search first for what planes on my list I can find info on , then go back to the blank MACR's and search more for the ones I can't. I do have the info on Mr. Millington's escape via a talk with his son on here who told me almost everything Mr. Jack did. Mr. Jack spent a year almost in Stalag 3 which was run by German Air Force personnel. Farmers captured the crew and turned them over to the Germans. Mr. David didn't exit the plane with the crew. He and his copilot were the last to get out. As his copilot jumped the plane got out of shape and Mr. Millington had to make his way back to the cockpit to correct the plane so he could get out, He was captured, but escaped and was rescued by the resistance whom he fought with until he was liberated according to his son. I am attaching a very rough draft of my Miss Polly/Tuff Nut Tessie #41-29246 and a new bomber the flew and crash landed back in Italy at the base. Only lasted one mission #41-29426 B-24 H. I want to put as much as I can down for the list of the 738th's bombers as I can as accurately as I can about the planes/crews. Thank you for the help, have a Merry Christmas , Randy.

Airwar likes this.
  13. Randy Morgan

14. Lucky Partners

Randy,

Think we've got a basic a/c identification problem regarding Slip Stream and the Porter crew. See attached pages of MACR 7457 for 42-50576 on August 17, 1944. Full MACR is 22 pages and includes post-war statements by the crew.
    This a/c shows up on the 738th a/c list with Porter, if he got shot down in March with 42-64459 I'd doubt that he'd be out on another mission in August even if he had evaded.

I cleaned these pages up a little but had to knock down the resolution to get them to a size I could post. Can send you the full rez pages or you can download from fold3 along with the remaining 19 pages.

Hal

MACR 7457 - 1.jpg

MACR 7457 - 2.jpg

MACR 7457 - 3.jpg

15. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Greetings and Merry Christmas. Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Rather odd, and I could be off track as even Baugher http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_3a.html agrees 42-64459 was lost 19 March 44 ((454th BG) lost Mar 19, 1944. MACR 3520. Salvaged Mar 22, 1944); you all seem to be on that same page.

Here is where it gets weird. I searched for Porter on fold3 and he came up related to the 19 March 44 mission not as a lose but flying 42-64459 with his ETTG'er reporting on the lose of 41-28659, S/Sgt Browns statement attached which I think indicates Porter and 42-64459 were not shot down this day.

41-28659, MACR 3467, 41 pages starts here on fold3 https://www.fold3.com/image/28647929

Attached Files:

16. Randy Morgan

I agree Porter commanded Slip Stream 1 which went down Aug. 17, 1944 at 11:00am on the Ploesti Bombing run. No Way Slip Stream 2 was shot down or crewed by Porter on March 19, 1944. I think they have the wrong crew on Slip Stream 2.

17. Randy Morgan

18. Randy Morgan

19. Randy Morgan

20. Randy Morgan

41-28659 Was the B-24 H was Virgin Ann flown by Lt. Lawrence A. Groot and it says Porter was flying Slip Stream 2 #42-64459 We can't open the MACR 3520 on the 454thbombgroup.it so that may be why. Merry Christmas and Thank You.
    Randy