1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

447th bomb group web site

Discussion in '447th BG - Rattlesden' started by glund, Feb 18, 2017.

1. glund

glund New Member

LBC.jpg Does anybody know what it takes to get a LBC added to this site? I've tried twice by sending my uncle's in jpeg form as listed on the web site. He flew 31 missions, lost his friend and pilot on his orientation mission, had aircraft shot down on both sides of him, and flew as an experienced pilot with a crew on its first mission that was shot down on its next mission. Now I know they all went through a lot and many paid the ultimate price but all I'm trying to get done is get his LBC posted to the website for his kids. Is that site even active any more?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Geoff,

Sad to say the official 447th site appears all but abandoned. Notice they still show a 6 year old newsletter on the home page!

I have posted a lot of my personal files on my own Smugmug site, will be glad to add your uncle's LB. You have my email, send me a good resolution scan. Take me a few days to get it done.

http://447bg.smugmug.com/

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  3. glund

glund New Member

I want to thank you again for all the help you've given me over the last couple of years in putting together the story of my uncle's military service for his children. Your smugmug site has been invaluable. I used it to help the sister of Hank's Yank's (who my uncle flew 11 of his missions with) tailgunner learn of his time at Rattlesden as well.

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hank's Yank's and articles of Leslie F.Lund

Attached Files:

glund and Lucky Partners like this.
  5. Lucky Partners

Jaap,

These are great! Thank you.

6. glund

glund New Member

Thank you Airwar. Two of the four relate to my uncle. The two articles regarding his enlistment and receiving an Oak Leaf Cluster are about him as it states my grandparents names and they lived in Sheboygan prior to moving to Oshkosh. The photo is not my uncle and the article mentioning a Hank's Yank's refers to an aircraft. Hank's Yank's refers to the pilot he flew with Dale Hank's, similar to his original training crew who ended up with the nickname Jocko crew.

7. glund

glund New Member

I'll forward the two relevant articles on to my cousins and they can add them to the books I created about their father.

Thanks,
    Geoff Lund

8. glund

glund New Member

If my memory serves me the Oak Leaf Clusters were awarded at various stages. I believe one was received for every 5 missions flown. Based on the date of the newspaper article he would have had 19 missions in on 9-24-44 based on Hal's documents.

9. Lucky Partners

In the Eighth OLCs were added for each 5 additional missions after the basic Air Medal. Generally there was a bit of a time lag between the mission date and the award so timing isn't an exact relationship. In this case he apparently flew 4 additional missions before the date of the news article.

Airwar and glund like this.
  10. glund

glund New Member

So that would have been after his 10th mission on 8-2-44 flown as co-pilot with McKahan. At the time of the article he already had another due and would have another earned in less than 2 weeks.

11. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Geoff I saw it.This must be the right photo,

Jaap

Attached Files:

glund and Lucky Partners like this.
  12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hal some 447th BG related articles

Attached Files:

Lucky Partners likes this.
  13. Lucky Partners

Geoff,

I have posted this document about the Air Medal previously but you may not have seen it. It goes through the various requirements for the Air Medal and how they changed with the passage of time. You should be able to download it if you want.

Attached Files:

glund and Airwar like this.
  14. Lucky Partners

Jaap,

Thank you very much! Will add to my archives.

Airwar likes this.
  15. glund

glund New Member

Yes Jaap,
    That is my uncle's high school photograph. I'm not familiar with Mr. Hall. The Milk Wagon flew many crews. My uncle flew only one mission on the Milk Wagon, his first in the pilot seat. A flak burst took out the aircraft next to him and the third aircraft in the formation was also forced down due to it. My uncle's aircraft received damage as well with schrapnel imbedding in the equipment behind him (a piece of it was at my grandparents home for years) and one piece hit his flight glasses breaking them. Ironically he was carrying leaflets that day.

Very interesting stuff Hal.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Airwar likes this.