42 Bomb Squadron, 11th BG "Wild Ass Ride" group.

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by Dawn Patrol, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Dawn Patrol

Dawn Patrol New Member

For July 4th I'd like to share with you all this the A2 jacket, dress jacket and photos of Lt. Ron Taylor, pilot of B-24 "Wild Ass Ride" of the 42nd BS., 11th BG 7th AF. One of the more complete groups with history and documentation I have been lucky enough to have in my collection. There are a lot of photos here and I hope I can attach them all. Any further information about the plane, the artist and crew would be very much appreciated. The painted on the back of the jacket was clearly done by the same artist as the nose are on their plane and clearly a talented one at that. The jacket has survived in amazing condition and was probably painted to wear home by Ron Taylor. For the rest of the photos, I will start a new thread. Wild Ass Ride 1 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 2 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 3 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 4 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 6 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 7 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 8 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 9 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 10 - 1.jpg Wild Ass Ride 13 - 1 (1).jpg
    The crew appears to have completed 40s missions from Oct. 28, 44 to April 24 1945. Expand and read Taylor's handwritten log of the missions. Note the brand K in a circle on the donkey's hind end. The artist signature?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Airwar likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

4. Dawn Patrol

Dawn Patrol New Member

Thanks guys. That was my post years ago on the B-24 site. Same photos. I believe Ron Taylor is top row, far right with the mark by his face in the crew shot. That's another great A-2. Is it attributed to a crew member on Wild Ass Ride?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  5. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  6. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

This youtube was put together for the 11 BGH th Reunion a few years ago. Ken Crothers their Historian told me that when I sent him the link to this video.

Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  7. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

B-24 "Wild Ass Ride" of the 42nd BS. The 11th BG 7th AF has a photo of the WILD ASS RIDE in the Unit History book GREY GEESE CALLING, not the crew but the bomber is clearly shown of page 171. You see their are two books, the MOST COMPLETE IS THIS ONE.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 3:45 AM
  8. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

In this book he is listed as being in the 11th BGH on page 118k;'.

Attached Files:

9. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

Airwar likes this.