42-97092 crashlanding in Belgium

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Alain Rosseels, May 20, 2017.

1. Alain Rosseels

Alain Rosseels New Member

Hello ,

Can someone help me with the firstnames of the following crew :

November 2nd 1944

A-93 airfield Belgium

B-17G-40-BO

Collision with another B-17 from 447BG

Crash landing

42-97092

447BG/708BS

CQ-

Heel der Fuhrer

Lt Hight J pilot

Lt Baird J co-pilot

Lt Cunningham W navigator

Lt Cotrone J bombardier

Frohrib N ttg

Richards A radio

Antipas J btg

Kirch A Wgnr

Cpl Norton A

2. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I have nothing to contribute, but a question: Is there a nose art on this ship? Great name!

3. Alain Rosseels

Sorry , I have no idea

Alain

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Norman J Frohrib, obit says he was a ttg "shot down" once but landed safely in Belgium.

Attached Files:

7. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Osborne, Master Fort Log:
    42-97092 Delivered Cheyenne 26/1/44; Alexandra 12/2/44; Presque Is 10/3/44; Assigned 708BS/447BG Rattlesden 11/3/44; 710BS; Salvaged 2/11/44; Returned to the USA Bradley 5/7/45; 1103 BU Morrison 8/10/45; 4168 Base Unit, South Plains, Texas 21/10/45; Reconstruction Finance Corporation (sold for scrap metal in USA) Kingman 29/11/45. HEEL DER FUHRER.

James R Hight http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/111947
    James T Baird http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/112598
    William J Cunningham http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/231967

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  8. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

42-97092 as stated in the original post was Virginia Lee II of the 710 squadron, crash landed Nov 2, 1944, survived the war and returned to the US. Radio call letter was K.
    Indications are that at some point she was named Heel Der Fuhrer but no dates or photo under that name.
    You state "CQ" in your post. That was the Squadron identifier for the 708th Squadron however, the 447th BG did not apply squadron codes to their aircraft, only the radio call letter.

Bottom half of the II is covered by a flak patch.

VIRGINIA LEE II 42-97092.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  9. Lucky Partners

44-6511 of the 711th Sq c/l'd at the same field on Nov 2, 1944 but I have no indication that there was a collision involving these two a/c.

EDIT: 44-6511 was involved in a mid-air collision with 44-6571 which was cut in half in the collision and went down immediately. 44-6511 was able to land at A-93. So there was a collision involved but it was not with Virginia Lee II.

Airwar likes this.
  10. Lucky Partners

Attached copy of Special Orders 229 of Sept 26, 1944 showing the Height crew as assigned. Full names and ASN shown.

What is your interest in this matter??

height crew.jpg

11. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

12. Alain Rosseels

Hello,

Thank you all for the help , my interessed in this crew is because the made their crashlanding in Belgium.

13. Alain Rosseels

Thank you all for your help.

Alain

14. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hal your right. In the book Losses of the 8th & 9th AAF of Jan Hey and Stan Bishop are the collision mentioned
    as you wrote above in answer 9. Alain can you tell us were you find these information because I think ( and Hal )
    is the wrong serialnumber.

Jaap

Lucky Partners likes this.
  15. Lucky Partners

Alain,

As Jaap asks above, it would be helpful if you clarified exactly which aircraft you are seeking, one which landed safely at A-93 or the one that crashed after a collision with another aircraft.
    If you want additional information we have extensive files on these aircraft.

Hal

pilot statement.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  16. Alain Rosseels

Thank you all for the help , i got this info from a friend. So can we say that both 42-97092 and 44-6511 2nd Lt High crew made a crashlanding at A-93 on the same day november 2nd 1944?

Regards
    Alain

17. Lucky Partners

Yes, both 42-97092 and 44-6511 landed at A-93 on November 2, 1944.
    The reason why we are confused is that in your original posting you said "Collision with another B-17 from 447BG"
    42-97092
    was NOT involved in a collision, only 44-6511 was involved in a collision.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  18. Alain Rosseels

Once again , thank you all for the help , so Lt Hayes was flying 44-6511.

Regards
    Alain

19. Lucky Partners

Yes, Hayes was flying 44-6511. He collided with Moses who was flying 44-6571. Moses was cut in half and went straight down, Hayes landed safely at A-93.

20. Peter Hogarth

Peter Hogarth New Member

Hello all,

Just found this site/post while doing some research on my Great Uncle. This post was of particular interest because the Virginia Lee II was mentioned which happens to be my Great Uncles B-17.

Unfortunately there has been some s/n number confusion since the Viginia Lee II's s/n number is 42-97064 not 42-97092. It has been mis-identified on multiple sites which has created much confusion.

The Virginia Lee II was forced to crash land in Switzerland on 4/13/44 due to heavy damage where my Great Uncle Capt Lawrence "Larry" Mcguire (Co-pilot) was interned (10 total). He was severly mistreated but finally escaped after several failed attempts. Once to safety, he rejoined the war effort and ultimately spent his entire decorated career in the military.

I don't believe this aircraft was returned to service or recovered.

Here is the Virginia Lee II's info:

Delivered Cheyenne 24/1/44; Kearney 11/2/44; Grenier 25/2/44; Presque Is 2/3/44; Assigned 711BS/447BG [IR-C] Rattlesden 16/3/44; Missing in Action Augsburg 13/4/44 with Capt Oliver Keller, Co-pilot: Capt Larry Maguire, Navigator: Bill Bird, Bombardier: Jesse Smith, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Coleman Hodges, Radio Operator: Bob McReynolds, Ball turret gunner: Eddes King, Waist gunner: Stan Postelnik, Waist gunner: Tony Coputo,Tail gunner: Lt John Hodges (10INT); flak ko’d #4 engine and gas leak, force landed Dubendorf Afd, Switz. Missing Air Crew Report 4296. VIRGINIA LEE II.

Sorry I wasn't any help on the original question but thought I would help clarify some of the information.

If anyone has any additional information or knows any relatives of the Virginia Lee II's crew I would appreciate you sharing.

Thanks.

Peter

BMBazooka likes this.