42-63987 Wurzer crew

Discussion in '93rd BG - Hardwick' started by Airwar, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

B-24D # 42-63987 " South Wind " 93rd BG/ 409th BS, 1 December 1943,MACR 2178

2/Lt. Joseph M. Wurzer - P
    2/Lt. Thomas H. Parker - CP
    2/Lt. Archibald R.T. Hambright - N
    2/Lt. George H. McCray - B
    Sgt. Hartis P. Hamlin - E
    Sgt. Albert E. Hill - R
    Sgt. Sidney A. Mapes - BTG
    Sgt. Russell L. Hulsey - LWG
    Sgt. Leonard N. Gallaway - RWG
    Sgt. Teddy Stamper - TG

T/O.Hardwick,assigned target Solingen,Germany. Hit by FLAK, 5 miles before target and then attacked by two Me-110's. Exploded at 4.000ft and broke in two,spun in and crashed about an half mile S of Herresbach,7 miles NE of St.Vith,Belgium.6 KIA, 4 POW

2. Henry L. Alexander

Henry L. Alexander New Member

Sgt. Teddy Stamper was my mom's cousin. I am trying to find information about specific missions he flew. Can you suggest sources that would contain this information?

3. Henry L. Alexander

Teddy also was on a B-24 named "Second Chance". This plane crashed in French Morocco. I need to find when Teddy went to North Africa. He left the states headed overseas on 8 July 1943. I want to find out if he may have participated in the Ploesti mission.

4. Henry L. Alexander

I neglected to mention the date when his first plane crashed. 20 Aug 1943. The Pilot's name was Lt. John R. Westrom. 2 crew members were KIA but Teddy successfully bailed out. According to a letter he sent his wife later this occurred on their way back to England.

5. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Unable to find record of crash 20 August 1943 with Pilot John Westrom. Do you have any other info, an a/c serial number, etc? Checked the roster for Ploesti, only Stamper listed is 2Lt David Stamper of Tulsa OK.

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

The only 93rd BG Aircraft who was mentioned at this date was the B-24D # 41-23774 '' Hitler's Nightmare ''.
    with pilot 2/Lt. Norman Charleson salvaged in the ETO.

1/Lt. John R. Westrom ship cracked up in French- Morocco,killing two on a cross country flight.

Or send an email with your requist to the historian of the 93rd Bomb Group, Don Morrison
    doniac1967@sbcglobal.net

Jaap

7. Lucky Partners

Jaap,

Saw that in Bishop and Hey but even though that landing accident took place at Hardwick they were not sure if it was an a/c assigned to the 93rd BG or to the 44th BG. Apparently the pilot was from the 44th BG on detached service to the 93rd. But either way this still is not the incident that Henry Alexander is asking about. I still cannot find anything about the Westrom incident, no MACR and no Accident Report. Perhaps Don Morrison might have some information.

Hal

8. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hal, your right I get this from the Bishop/Hey book, but this is also mentioned in the 93rd BG Book '' Teds Traveling Circus ''.
    I think Henry may send Don an email,probably he has more.

Jaap

9. Henry L. Alexander

I have taken your advice and sent an email to Don. Thank you very much. Can either of you suggest where I might find a listing of the actual missions Teddy participated in? Can I apply for this information from the Air Force, Army etc.?

10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

11. Lucky Partners

Henry,

Absent something surfacing from someone connected with the 93rd BG the kind of information you are seeking is only available at the National Archives in College Park, MD. These are original paper records, they have never been scanned or microfilmed. You would be looking for the "loading lists" that were prepared for every aircraft on every mission listing all members of each crew on the mission. To find your answers you would have to go through each page looking for Sgt Stamper's name. You would have to go to the Archives yourself to copy each page or hire someone to do it for you. Either way, it is a very time consuming, and expensive, project. Hopefully Don Morrison will be able to save you the trouble.

Hal

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.