42-37726 Shady Lady

Discussion in '305th BG - Chelveston' started by Ynkezfn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

My grandfather flew at least on mission on this plane with the 422nd NLS on May 22/23 1944 over Rotterdam and The Hague. I am having trouble finding any additional information around his 31 months. He had 84 points so there is quite a few missing. All of his military records were destroyed in 1973 in St. Louis. I know this plane was in the 366th and in the 858th. Just can't find any additional information. Anything would help. I have the attached photo of the plane but he is not in the picture. The pilot was L.J. Caulk.

Attached Files:

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Y,
    And your grandfather (from your profile page) was Kenneth Emens? More information please.

3. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

Yes, Kenneth Wayne Emens. Enlisted in Sacramento CA. on 2/19/1943. He was an engineer and TT gunner. Military # was

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

5. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

I have not. New to this. My grandfather recently passed away. Never would talk about any of it. Trying to pass on information to my family. Not something I want forgotten.

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

7. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

I think that's where I found the picture. My grandfather received a letter from a gentleman doing research about a plane that crashed outside of Rotterdam on his parents farm in June of 1944. The Shady Lady flew the same mission two weeks prior and had right flap shot off and the #4 engine was damaged. He sent all the information around that mission. Just can't find anything else about that plane. Sounds like they may have been transferred to the 858th.

8. 25Kingman49

9. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

25Kingman49 likes this.
  11. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

Yes, that was the aircraft that flew two weeks after my grandfathers. A gentleman from Gouda outside of Rotterdam sent my grandfather a letter trying to see if he had any additional information about that plane. I am not sure if they had any other communication. He was writing a book about it. It crashed close to his parents farm. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!!

25Kingman49 likes this.
  12. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

He was a Radio Operator with the 305th BG only found two missions with him listed - July 422nd are missing, nothing in August.

emens 23 june.JPG June 1944 Emens.JPG

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  13. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

43-37516 was Tonfalayo

43-37516 b done.jpg 43-37516 g done (2).jpg

14. 25Kingman49

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Ynkezfn likes this.
  15. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

Thank you both!! It looks like from what I have found on 801492.org. His crew was transferred to the 858 then 406. At least the pilot was. That's where a lot of the missions were flown. Again thank you!!!

16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

17. 25Kingman49

Good find, Jaap.
    It is always nice to see who we are talking about.

S/Sgt Kenneth Wayne Emens
    SSgt Kenneth Wayne Emens.jpg

18. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

Thanks guys!! I truly appreciate your help.

19. Ynkezfn

Ynkezfn New Member

Was sent this picture of my grandfathers crew.

Attached Files:

20. 25Kingman49

Outstanding photo of the Caulk Crew, thank you for sharing!

Note the black camouflage bottom of this Fort for night operations. Not clear to me exactly which Fort the crew is pictured with, 43-37516 "Tonfalayo" or a different ship. Nose art may have only been on the starboard side.

Caulk Crew.jpg

S/Sgt Kenneth W Emens cropped from the photo
    SSgt Kenneth W Emens.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    BMBazooka and Airwar like this.