1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. Arrangements have been made for the forum archives, details to come.
    Dismiss Notice

41-24130 McPeters crew

Discussion in '93rd BG - Hardwick' started by Airwar, Jan 25, 2016.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Hal,

The 41-24130 standing reference is cited to be in Vol 1, p.180. Would you mind taking a peek, and sharing the content.

Airwar likes this.
  2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Scott,
    Can't get the book in the scanner so tried taking a picture. Not much of an image but should give you an idea. Better than nothing but not by much. Needed the coffee mugs to hold the pages open.

BISHOP 1.jpg

BISHOP 2.jpg

3. Mike reagan

Mike reagan New Member

Quite a task to sort out a 73 year old mystery, isn't it? While knowledge of the details of the aircraft this crew perished in would be a wonderful piece of info for the bio aI am working on, I am aware that there are lots of variables involved in such a search, compounded when there are discrepancies. My only agenda is to know the truth, either way. As you might expect, my uncle's letters do not mention such details. They completed their crew training in Lincoln, Nebraska, flew to Maine, then headed across the Atlantic, eventually making it to Hardwick. A short time later, they joined the rest of the 409th in North Africa, and three days later, they headed out on their first and only mission. I cannot say with certainty that the aircraft they picked up in Lincoln and landed at Hardwick was the same Lib that they died in. I would think that christening an aircraft with a name might depend on how much time the crew had spent with it, but I'm no authority in that particular tradition with this unit. This thread is utterly fascinating to me. Come what may, the big story for me is the men who were aboard that B-24, be it "Lady in the Lake" or an unknown aircraft. Photographic records would help, but they may not exist. I've never been able to turn up a crew photo, nor does anyone in my family recall seeing one. Either way, it suffered mechanical malfunctions and killed everyone aboard. I'm sure hoping the mystery has been solved, but I also appreciate contributions bringing conflicting information to light. We're all after the same thing - the truth. I truly appreciate the time everyone has been spending weighing in on this! I want to keep the memory of this crew alive. Doesn't matter to me whether they crashed after takeoff or flew a score of missions. I will admit I'm not capable of being impartial about this crew. I can tell from my uncle's letters that this crew was tight, and they really got along well. Uncle "Buddy" just wanted to do what he was trained to do and make it home. I wish that my grand parents would have opted to have his remains returned in 1949 when they were given the option. Maybe they thought he would be resting in the cemetery at Tunis with his crew mates - but only he, Ciccarelli, and DeKeyser remain there. The rest are scattered in cemeteries from New Mexico to Long Island.

Airwar likes this.
  4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

I have all 4 issues,and was publish by Stan Bishop and the famous Jan ( John ) A. Hey,a great Dutch researcher who passed away in 2012.
    Like in the most books, information is not always right,and new information will be added from archives.
    But these two men are the realy 8th & 9th AAF Experts no doubt.

Jaap

5. Mike reagan

Mike reagan New Member

Those have got to be incredible volumes. That entry about #41-24130 seems pretty concise. I remain open minded about conflicting information, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see that. I really do appreciate and respect everyone's posts, pro or con on this issue, and the desire to dig into this. Perhaps photos will emerge at some point. So easy to document the story of famous aircraft, but sometimes difficult to drill down to the correct information with relatively unknown crews that exist in the murky recesses of incidents like this one, with a crew that had such a short story and historical footnote due to a horrific turn of events.

Mike

Airwar likes this.
  6. 25Kingman49

Thank you, Hal.
    Well done on the photo of p.180, and here we have the name of the ship "Lady Of The Lake", s/n 41-24130 "our crew" all tied together in this loss incident on this date. Are there any endnotes in the book that might suggest Stan's source of this detail? Hal, short of that would you be willing to contact Stan and ask?

Mike, nobody is giving up yet. We still need to learn where Stan obtained his loss details. And we still wait for Daniel Stockton and Don Morrison to chime in on the BBW pictured 41-24130 with a different name. I suspect they are digging and will share their findings when available.

7. Lucky Partners

Scott,

There are several Appendix at the end of the book but nothing by way of source notes. I will email Stan today.

Did find one very interesting Appendix that I had not noticed before, Casualties. How often have we know of a person who died in service but could find no MACR or other document to provide details? This appendix gives a short note about men who died in ground accidents, hit by a truck, fell of a roof, shot by accident, etc, as well as men who came home from a mission seriously wounded and died several days later in the hospital. In vol 1 this appendix runs 25 pages so provides a fair number of names. Listed in date of death order so not necessarily easy to search and usually does not include an a/c s/n. Once again could not get into scanned so photos attached.

Hal

appendix 1.jpg

appendix 2.jpg

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  8. 25Kingman49

Thank you, Hal.

Regarding the other ship on BBW, the AAM attributes 'Thar She Blows Again' to s/n 42-40127 http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/19313 also supported here http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...st-diary-stories-of-aerial-suicide-mission-2/ with the same crew photo used on BBW for 41-24130. This ship was also in Libya assigned to 329th BS, 93rd BG, 8th AF. TDY 9th AF. This ship survived the North Africa service going on to serve with the 458th BG as an assembly ship *First Sergeant*.

Joe Baugher http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_2a.html
    B-24D-30-CO-42-40127: "afer use by 329th BS, 93rd BG as "Thar She Blows Again", became 458th BG and named "Bucket of Bolts" later as assembly ship with 485th BG and named "First Sergeant". Burned out in flare accident May 1944 and replaced by 41-28967. During the loading of the aircraft’s Very signal pistol, the gun discharged and lit other stored flares, resulting in the aircraft burning to the ground."

At least the good news for BBW is they now have a new photo for 42-40127 http://search.freefind.com/find.html?lang=en&id=47862833&pageid=r&query=42-40127 where before they only had photos of it as an assembly ship.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Airwar and Lucky Partners like this.
  9. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Excellent find on that diary!

Mike,

20 years worth of newsletters are available on the web site of the 93rd Bomb Group. It might be worth a little of your time to scan through them. In particular check the letters to the editor, just spotted one where a writers father had served on Thar She Blows. Lots of people out there looking for information just like you, might spot someone who has your answers. Even spotted one letter from our own Jaap (Airwar).

http://www.93bg.com/#!newsletter-bofqe/c1anh

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Airwar likes this.
  10. Mike reagan

Mike reagan New Member

That is an excellent idea. I have been in contact with Don Morrison, to whom I have offered some photos, and I will post some photos of my uncle and a couple of the other crewmen (Maruna and Ciccarelli) here very soon - I want to cull through them for the best shots - some are rather poor quality. For those of you that frequent Find-A Grave, I have a couple of the photos there for George A. Reagan, and on the memorial for Lt. McPeters, a photo of him and the text of a letter he wrote to somebody back home, shortly before the crew was killed. I should post that same info here, I think people may find it interesting. I am also hitting relatives up back in Pennsylvania who may be hoarding any photos of "Buddy" during his service period that I have not seen.

11. Mike reagan

Mike reagan New Member

Letter written by Lt. Foster C. McPeters to a friend back home - dated 4 July 1943, and printed in the Clovis News-Journal in August, 1943:

"You know, Bob,we young bucks have a lot to be fighting for. Just thinking of all our friends back home, and the sacrifices you are making makes you realize the value of friendships and the necessity of preserving the American way of living. We are doing our best too, from the privates in training to the generals in command. Not for us, not for you, but for everyone and the generations to come."

12. Mike reagan

Mike reagan New Member

Buddy.jpg

Photo of men from the McPeters crew, taken appx. March 1943 in Tucson, AZ during training - L-R Sgt. George Ciccarelli, S/Sgt. John Maruna, and S/Sgt. George Reagan. The occasion was probably John's marriage to his wife Anne, who appears in another shot with the same tree behind them.

Airwar likes this.