351st BG Polebrook - Air-Sea Rescue - 42-5814 - 13th June 1943

Discussion in '351st BG - Polebrook' started by Tony Nall, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Tony Nall

Tony Nall New Member

Hello,

I'm doing some research in to an Air-Sea Rescue that took place on 13th June 1943. The rescue was undertaken by RAF squadron 278 with a Walrus sea plane that came to the aid of eight USAAF crew in the North Sea.

My Grandad was the Flight Sergent on board the RAF craft during that rescue and I have some information, including a telegram from RNSQ, a cartoon published the the Tatler & Bystander and also a transcript from a radio broadcast. This rescue was un usual as the number of crew rescued meant that the Walrus could not take off and had to taxi across the North Sea until a HSL could pick them up.

I have rescued crew names of: Willard T Forest, Richard J Bohney, Edward Gilmore, Wallace Halton, Aaron Johnson, Daniel Roberts, Paul Powers and Jack Reynolds. The following crew were reported missing Harry Roebuck and Joseph Hayes.

I have limited information about the aircraft (42-5814) and the crew.

If anyone has any information regarding the crew, aircraft or the event of 13th June 1943 - I would really like to hear from you.

Thank you for reading my post.

Regards......... Tony

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

T/O Polebrook,assigned target Bremen. Suffered mechanical trouble soon after crossing the German coast and was forced to turn back.
    Ditched in the North Sea. Eight members were rescued by ASR Walrus L2268 from Coltishall,piloted by F/Lt. S.A.Trevalliom and F/Sgt.
    Nall,after eight hours hours in dinghies.The Walrus landed in the sea with a swell of five feet,sometimes as much as eight feet.
    Tried five times to take off but this was unsuccesful. Contacted by F/O. Hester " Quicksand III",HSL was directed to meet F/Lt. Trevaillon's
    Walrus,while taxing towards the coast. Due to the rough seas the Walrus was damaged during transfer of the eight crewmemmbers to the HSL.
    2 KIA, 8 RTD.
    The two crewmembers lost are commemorated on the WOM,Cambridge Cemetery.

B-17F-25-VE # 42-5814 # YB*B, 351st BG/ 508th BS

Jaap

3. Tony Nall

Tony Nall New Member

Thank you for your quick reply. There is information within your text that is new to me. Cheers Tony.

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

ASR Walrus

Attached Files:

8. Tom Risinger

Tom Risinger New Member

Hi Tony,
    Check the 351st.org web page. Click on 351st Missions to read the documents from that mission.
    Or go to the Crew Member Database to see each man's missions.
    Tom

9. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Tony an file of the British Admiralty,

Jaap

Attached Files: