1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

329th Depot Repair Sqdn.

Discussion in 'Ground Commands, Stations, & Bases' started by Mike, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

Hi All,

Thanks for reading. My name is Mike and I am researching my Dad's Military Records AAF and on his Discharge papers it had the 329th Depot Repair Sqdn and 81st Air Group. I found info in the 81st but nothing on the 329th DRS. The campaigns were listed as Luzon, Philippines and New Guinea. I had wrote this forum back in 4-4-13 but I can't find anything about my post and the people who responded back to me. I went to sign in with my user name (N2JVE) and said it was not on file so I used my wife's user name so I could get back on. Anyways, If anyone could help me with this project on the 329th DRS would be great along if there were patches etc with this unit. Thank a bunch in advance and THANK YOU for your Service!!

Mike USAF (1980-84)

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Regarding your posts from 2013, this Forum suffered a terminal melt down in 2015. All prior threads, etc., were lost. Forum restarted with clean slate in October 2015.

3. Mike

Mike New Member

Thank you for your response back. Glad that question was answered. Thought I was losing it.

Mike

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Not much help, according to ARMY AIR FORCES OVERSEAS STATION LIST ON 1 MAY 1945: 329th Depot Repair Squadron [81st Air Depot Gp] stationed Finschafen, New Guinea [APO 322 SF]

Suspect where the 81st Air Depot Group went the 329DRS went with them.
    Scott

Finschafen, New Guinea.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  5. Mike

Mike New Member

Thanks Scott for the assist!!! It's better then nothing at all.

Mike

6. 25Kingman49

Mike,
    The following are listings of document holdings at the AFHRA Archive, Maxwell, AFB for the 81st Air Depot Group, and 329th Depot Repair Squadron via the Air Force History Index (a none government independent party) main page here http://airforcehistoryindex.org/ searching the index can be problematic for those new to the system.
    81st Air Depot Group http://airforcehistoryindex.org/search.php?q=+GROUP/0081/AIR+DEPOT+&c=u&h=25&F=&L=
    329th Depot Repair Squadron http://airforcehistoryindex.org/search.php?q=Squadron/0329/Depot+Repair+
    Requesting documents http://www.afhra.af.mil/Archival-Requests/ email AFHRA.NEWS@US.AF.MIL AFHRA Public Affairs (334) 953-5697, or if they are not responsive try (334) 953 2395 ask for Mrs Gamma. If there is a CD available for purchase that contains (all) documents and histories for the 81ADG & 329DRS that would be the way to go. This material might be on more than one CD they run 30 bucks each so call and ask instead of guessing.

Understand these are only unit documents, no personal history of or for your Dad.
    Scott

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Good finds Scott. I found a few articles of men who served with the 81st.

Attached Files:

8. 25Kingman49

Mike,
    Jaap's newspaper article brings up an interesting observation. Because your Dad's name is different from yours would you share his full name and serial number perhaps more could be found, or would you prefer this remain private?
    Scott

9. Mike

Mike New Member

My Dad's name was Carl Henry Wieboldt Army Serial # 32 800 103

10. 25Kingman49

Attached Files:

11. Lucky Partners

12. 25Kingman49

Hal,
    It would appear he has folded his wings according to the U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs:
    Carl Wieboldt
    Birth Date: 7 May 1923
    Death Date: 24 Jan 2010
    Enlistment Date 1: 1 Feb 1943
    Release Date 1: 1 Feb 1946
    There is no findagrave memorial page, another consideration for Mike to honor his Dad. Findagrave membership page here https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=nm AAF memorial page example https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=174614518

Scott

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. Lucky Partners

Thanks Scott, he's buried on Long Island.

IMG_0172.PNG

25Kingman49 likes this.
  14. Mike

Mike New Member

Yes he is at the Family Plot. I was there and I did receive the flag. Again Thank you all for taking time to help me out. You just don't know how you guys have made me so grateful for your help and how I am alot more connected to his Service years. I didn't meet him until I was 31y/o but at least I had the best 18 years of my life with him. I guess I'm very needy for him especially this time of the year (Jan 24) and that I want to finish his Shadow Box so I can Honor him like he deserves

Mike

25Kingman49 likes this.
  15. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Lucky Partners and 25Kingman49 like this.
  16. Mike

Mike New Member

Alot of my relatives are in Germany and My Grandfather that I know of came over I think around 1910 from Germany Thanks for the info !!!!

Mike

17. Mike

Mike New Member

18. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

19. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

20. Mike

Mike New Member

Thanks to everybody so much for all the info. you have provided these past few days!!!!

Mike