1st Lt Andrew Chambers - 88th TCS 438th TCG

Discussion in '438th TCG' started by jonesy, Dec 11, 2015.

1. jonesy

jonesy New Member

1st Lt Andrew Chambers O-805569 was originally a co-pilot then pilot from the 88th Troop Carrier Squadron, 438th Troop Carrier Group. Stationed at Greenham Common airfield some 30 minutes away from me, he flew on D-Day, Market Garden and Varsity.

In the book 'Into fields of fire' by Austin J Buchanan and W.L. George Collins, he is mentioned as being the co-pilot in C-47 42-100763 for the ferry flight across the Atlantic in January 1944.

During Operation Varsity he captained C-47 42-93003 nicknamed "What's up Doc" as chalk # 90 in Serial A-2, the last plane in the serial.

Patrick Elie supplied me with confirmation of his Air Medal award for flying during D-Day with an extract from the squadron diary whilst Hans den Brok confirmed his participation in Market Garden and confirmed his C-47 for the Varsity operation. Patricia Overman from the National WWII Glider Pilots Association gave me a fantastic copy of the 88th TCS yard long group photo where 1st Lt Chambers (probably 2nd Lt at the time) is pictured.

The jacket is lovely being my first cut down officers tunic and also my first with the Combat Crew blue felt underneath the sterling wings. His name and serial number was written on the tailors tag. I feel honoured to have this in my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am standing on the remains of Greenham Common airfield's main runway holding 1st Lt Chambers's jacket. The last time that the jacket was here was 71 years ago.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Neil.

Bomber Command, Darkhorse and Airwar like this.
  2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil for sharing the photo's and other information,

Jaap

3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Neil send me an PM with your email and I send you the 438th TCG Diaries,

Jaap

4. V1cut

V1cut New Member