10th Air Force crew member info

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Robert Yeninas, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Robert Yeninas

Robert Yeninas New Member

Greetings everyone.

I was hoping to get some help in a search for info for my best friend. His grandfather served as a navigator aboard a B-24 Liberator with the 10th Air Force in the Pacific Theater of Operations. I am trying to track down any information about the specific aircraft he was a crewmember of. I believe he was a Second Lieutenant, and his name was Norman J. Vokaty. Unfortunately, there is not much other info beyond that, and unfortunately, Mr. Vokaty passed away in the early 90's.
    Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Robert Y.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Norman J Vokati of Chicago,

3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Robert, is this the right man?

There was a Norman Joseph Vokaty, born 16 Dec 1921 in Chicago and died 9 Oct 1991 in MN. Father was John and mother was Anna. He had two sisters, Evelyn and Florence and a brother, John.

There was a 1st Lt Norman J Vokaty, O-2056495 in the Air Corps, MOS 1034 (navigator), shipping into New York in September 1945. He was on the ship General A W Greely which arrived from Calcutta on Sept 26 1945.

He may have married a Mildred Mary Gilpin (from Chicago) in the fall of 1944. He was stationed at March Field (California) at the time. Probably just before going overseas.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. Robert Yeninas

RSwank, that sounds like him although he passed away in Crystal Lake, Illinois. But he said the brother and sisters are his aunts and uncle. Is it possible to puzzle out which bomb group and aircraft he served aboard? My friend has some pictures, but the only clear photo of any markings is a tail number: 441172 and below that is the number 69. In the photo, his grandfather is posing in front of the tail, so we are assuming this is the aircraft he served aboard, but we aren't sure.

Thank you so much for your help!!

5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Robert if the tail number is exactly given as 441172, the serial number would have been:
    44-41172.

Joe Baugher does list 44-41172 as a B-24:
    B-24J-200-CO Liberator
    but has no information as to where it was located.

Not listed apparently on b24bestweb.com site either.

But here is a crew who died on the plane. Plane was in
    10th Air Force, 7th Bombardment Group, 436th Bombardment Squadron. It disappeared after being damaged by anti-aircraft fire over Burma on May 3, 1945.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=vcsr&GSvcid=292391

There is a 5 page MACR for the plane on fold3.com, with the date of loss as May 3, 1945.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Robert Yeninas likes this.
  6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Robert Yeninas and 25Kingman49 like this.
  7. Robert Yeninas

Gentlemen, you are the best! Thank you very much for your help!!!

8. tonystro

tonystro Member

B-24, tail no. 44-41172 was assigned to the 436th Bombardment Squadron, 7th Bombardment Group. On May 3, 1945, Aircraft #69 (recall #) piloted by 1st Lt. J. P. Osborne was hit by flak during the bomb run on target at Moulmein, Burma knocking one engine out. Following the bomb rune It was last seen at 1500 feet, entering cloud 2 mile west of Moulmein, Burma. (MACR 15453?)

May be able to get further information from Facebook Group -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/7thBombGroup/

9. Robert Yeninas

Thank you all so much!!!

10. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Robert, I corrected the date of the ship arrival in New York from Calcutta as September, 1945 (not 1944 as I first posted). Based on his serial number, I think he was commissioned 2nd Lt at San Marcos, Texas (Navigator School) in the summer of 1944. Not sure which class he was in.

11. Robert Yeninas

I am absolutely stunned at all this information! He did indeed marry Mildred. I did not meet his grandson (Thomas) until after Mr. Vokaty had passed away, but I did get to know Mildred very well over the course of my friendship with Thomas.
    I can't thank you all enough for all this info! He will be extremely excited to hear all of this!

12. Ann Vokaty

Ann Vokaty New Member

CORRECTION: Norman Joseph Vokaty did pass away in Minnesota - at the MAYO Clinic. My Dad (Norman's brother) was with him when he passed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Crystal Lake, Illinois does appear to be the last place of residence
    In the Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
    Name:
    Norman Joseph Vokaty
    Birth Date: 16 Dec 1921
    Death Date: 9 Oct 1991
    Death County: Olmsted - Mayo Clinic is located in Olmsted County, Rochester, Minnesota
    Mother's Maiden Name: Cakora
    State File Number: 027185
    Certificate Number: 027185
    Certificate Year: 1991
    Record Number: 2402636

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017