Air Force Service Commands by name

Station List Working Group
2005/10/14 19:53:19
These are the Air Force Service Commands that were active on 1 May 1945:
Air Technical Service Command in Europe (U. S. Stretegic Air Forces in Europe)
Hq and Hq Sq (633 NY) - Port Marly, France

Army Air Service Command, M. T. O (assigned to AAF, Mediteranean Theater of Operations)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less Det) (528 NY) - Naples, Italy
Det Hq and Hq Sq (528 NY) - Foggia, Italy

China Air Service Command (Prov)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less Det) (627 NY) - Kunming, China
Det Hq and Hq Sq (210 NY) - Chengtu, China

India-Burma Air Service Command (assigned to AAF, India-Burma Theater)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less Dets) (492 NY) - Barrackpore, India
Det Hq and Hq Sq (629 NY) - Chabua, India

Far East Air Service Command (assigned to Far East Air Forces)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less Dets) (323 SF) - Hollandia, New Guinea
Advance Echelon (75 NY) - Manila, Philippines
Rear Echelon (923 SF) - Brisbane, Australia
Det Hq and Hq Sq (922 SF) - Townsville, Australia

I Tactical Air Force Service Command (Prov) (First Tactical Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (374 NY) - Vittel, France

V Air Force Service Command (Fifth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (710 SF) - Mindoro, P. I.

VI Air Force Service Command (Sixth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (825 NO) - Albrook Field, C. Z.

Note: The VII Air Force Service Command had been inactivated on 15 Aug 44.

VIII Air Force Service Command (Eighth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less Dets) (636 NY) - Thurleigh, England
Det A, Hq and Hq Sq (636 NY) - Brussels, Belgium
Det B, Hq and Hq Sq (636 NY) - High Wycombe, England

IX Air Force Service Command (Ninth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (149 NY) - Creil, France

XII Air Force Service Command (Twelfth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (650 NY) - Siena, Italy

XIII Air Force Service Command (Thirteenth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (Less rear Ech) (719 SF) - Morotai Island
Rear Ech Hq and Hq Sq (709 SF) - Guadalcanal Island, Solomons

XIV Air Force Service Command (Fourteenth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (627 NY) - Kunming, China

XV Air Force Service Command (Fifteenth Air Force)
Hq and Hq Sq (520 NY) - Bari, Italy
post edited by mbee53 - 2005/10/14 20:08:12
F5G6
Wing Member
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/15 20:02:39
Interesting description of ASC found on AFHRA site online:

War Department Field Manual FM 100-20   22 Jul 1943

Section V
AIR SERVICE COMMAND

20. GENERAL --  The  air service command in a theater provides logistical framework of the air force. Its functions comprise such activities as procurement, supply, repair, reclamation, construction, transportation, salvage, and other services required by the tactical units of the air force. The air service command provides all repair, and maintenance of equipment beyond the responsibility of first and second echelons of maintenance.

21. ORGANIZATION - a. All air force organizations and installations are under air service commander’s control. These organizations and installations include air quartermaster, ordnance, signal, chemical, medical, and engineer depots, and service centers.  Where ground force depots supplying to both ground and air forces are adequate, suitably located, and can be used, such material should not be handled by an air force depot. Material should not be handled by an air force depot. Material peculiar to the Army Air Forces will normally be handled only by the Army Air Forces and not by ground or service force agencies.
   b. The service center is a mobile organization provided to establish and operate the necessary third echelon maintenance, reclamation and supply points within close supporting distance of combat units.
Service centers normally are set up on the basis of one for each two combat groups.

22. REFERENCE – The details of organization, functions, and method of operation of an air service command are contained in Army Air Forces Regulations 65-1.

Mike

mbee53
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/15 23:14:26
Phil,
I would recommend reading pages 290-302, vol IV, AAF in World War II for a full insight on operation Galvanic, or the invasion of the Gilberts.
It seem that the VII Air Force Service Command (VII Air Force Base Command prior to 15 Oct 42) was under Brig Gen Walter J. Reed, had as it's prime unit the Hawaiian Air Depot.
It says that the VII AFSC formed 4 units called Air Service Support Squadrons (ASSRON) to provide repair, supply, evacuation, sanitation, construction, transportation, and a host of other duties as required. Altogether 4 ASSRONS were formed. The 1st was activated on 21 Sep 43 and went to Baker Island to service the 45th Fighter Squadron and bombers staging through Canton. The 2nd was activated the same day, was held for use in the captured Gilberts. The 3rd took over servicing of squadrons based on Funafuti, Nukufetau, and Nanomea. The 4th was set up for movement to the Marshalls when those islands were captured.
The idea was for these units to be highly mobile and move accross the Pacific with the combat units, but this proved not to be the case.
A 5th ASSRON was activated in Feb 44, for service on Saipan, but it was abadoned before it got out of blueprint stage. By July 44, standard service groups had been assigned to the Central Pacific.
General Hale established ADVON (Advanced Echelon) HQ, Seventh Air Force at Funafuti on 6 Nov 43. In addition, General Landon established ADVON HQ, VII Bomber Command, and General Reed established ADVON HQ, VII Air Force Service Command there as well.
So, I guess you could say that VII AFSC was there right along with VII BC and VII FC.
mbee53
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/16 12:58:54
Phil,
I have been reading Vol 5, AAF in WWII, about the command structure in the Pacific Ocean Area (POA) in Aug 1944. Lt Gen Millard F. Harmon was appointed CG of Army Air Forces, POA and Deputy Cdr, 20th Air Force on 1 Aug 44. The VII AFSC was inactivated and two new commands took it's place. The VI Air Service Area Command was activated at Wheeler Field to handle rear area services and VII Air Service Area Command was planned for Guam. These two commands would function under Air Service Command, AAFPOA (Maj Gen Robert G. Breene). In Nov 1944, the Guam Air Depot was assigned to the 20th Air Force, but attached to AAFPOA for operations. In reality the VII ASAC never materialized except on paper, and the Guam Air Depot was the highest supply organization for the XXI BC. It looks like the Hawaiian Air Depot, Guam Air Depot and later the Okinawa Air Depot functioned directly under ASC, AAFPOA. Actually there was no HQ for ASC, AAFPOA as it was combined with AAFPOA at Hickam.
I hope this answers the question.
Liz RS
Group Member
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/18 00:43:48
Mark,
As I read through this list and see listed First Tactical Air Force Service Command Vittel, I am reminded to look at the obituary for my father written by my mother.  It states that he served in England with the 8th Air Force and the First Tactical Air Force in France and Germany.  What is this? What is "prov" and what is "374 NY"?  Where can I find info on this group?  Thanks again.  Liz RS
mbee53
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/18 13:58:13
Liz,
The First Tactical Air Force was formed in Nov 1944 with units from the 12th Air Force that had been landed in Southern France back in Sept 44.  The "Prov" means that the unit was Provisional (temporary).  The 1st TAF was a composite air force consisting of some American units (XII Tactical Air Command), and some French units.  This organization reflected the composition of the 6th Army Group, which had the U. S. Seventh Army and a French Army assigned.  The "374 NY" is the Army Post Office assigned to this command.  One or two 9th AF Fighter Groups were also assigned to the 1st TAF/XII TAC as well.
post edited by mbee53 - 2005/10/18 14:09:36
Liz RS
Group Member
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/18 22:03:13
Thank you Mark and Phil for the answers. 

Another question:  Where in France was the Headquarters Sixth Army Group Christmas 1944 and what is it?  I have a Christmas card from it below. 

The I will upload 2 more photos about which I have questions, if there are answers.
In the 7th photo of 19 of series 602, what does 602 mean?
Do the numbers on the pile of Bombs mean anything to anyone and what are these bombs?

Thanks so much!  Liz RS

Attached Image(s)

Liz RS
Group Member
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/18 22:05:06
Here is the third photo.  Thank you, Liz

Attached Image(s)

Liz RS
Group Member
RE: Air Force Service Commands by name 2005/10/18 22:12:08
I will try that again!
bernies
RE: VII Air Service Area Cd and VII AF Service Cd 2005/10/20 17:32:16
VII Air Service Area Command(Special) was actually formed in 1944.  However, I do not know that it ever moved forward as a funtioning organization.
VII Air Force Service Command went back to being VII Air Force Base Command and was reassigned from 7 AF to Air Service Command, AAF Pacific Ocean Areas.
bernies
RE: VII Air Service Area Cd and VII AF Service Cd 2005/10/22 17:59:54
Nothing very special about (Special)   Although I am aware of a couple of exceptions, this usually meant only that a unit was manned differently than what the standard Table of Organization called for (usually through an Exact Manning Table).  Every one of the Air Service Area Commands disbanded along with the VII ASAC (the I, IV, V, and VI) had this parenthetical.  By the way, unlike AF Service Commnds, these did not necessarily carry the number of the Air Force they were assigned to, but were numbered in sequence.
post edited by bernies - 2005/10/22 18:07:07