Question on Discharge Papers

I asked my wife what her grandfather did in WWII. She had no clue, nor did his childern. I order the discharge papers and now I'm attempting to understand them.  He was discharged in September 1944 at the seperation center at Fort Sheridan, IL. He was a Private, Flight Traffic Clerk. Attended Ground School Div, Sta#11, PW, ATC Hamilton Fld, Cal; Grad. He was in the 1503 AAF Base Unit, PD, ATC. He has an honorable discharge

The comments on his seperation papers reads:
Physical Condition when Discharged: Good
Honorably Discharge by reason of: Sec X AR 615-360 & AAF Ltr 35-106, 28 Jun 44 & Ago **
Character: Excellent
Periods of Active Duty: 15 November 1943 - 16 September 1944
Remarks: **26 Jul 44, AG 220.8, 17 Jul 44 (OD-F-AAF-M). Convenience of the Government. No time lost under AW 107. Lapel Button Issued. Foreign Service: 14 days. Left United States 11 Aug 44; arr United States 22 Aug 44, mustering-out payment $100.00; entitles to $300.00

What does that mean? I cannot find a description of section X means, nor can I find a copy of the other guidence listed in the discharge. Nothing from what I've heard about the guy leads me to believe he had some sort of "issue" from the war, he was a sucessful businessman and on the board of his hospital.

Any help would be greatly appericated

Thanks,

-Greg 
bernies
Division Member
Re:Question on Discharge Papers 2011/04/21 08:49:10
Sta#11,PW,ATC is Station 11, Pacific Wing, Air Transport Command, which was active from about Oct 1943 until it was replaced on 1 Aug 1944 by the 1503rd AAF Base Unit (Port of Aerial Embarkation).  At the same time the Pacific Wing was upgraded to become the Pacific Division of Air Transport Command.  Both these units were at Hamilton Fld, Novato CA (just north of the Golden Gate on the bay side of the Marin Peninsula).
Ago is the Adjutant General's Office and AG is the Adjutant General (administrative offices og the Army)
AW 107 is Article 107 of the Articles of War.  No time lost means he did not lose any service time as a result of punishment for violations of the Articles.
AR 615-360 refers to an Army Regulation (presumably governing discharges).  I don't know what Section X is, I've only heard of Section VII.  Maybe one of the posters who served at the time can help with this.
SHAEF1944
Division Member
Re:Question on Discharge Papers 2011/04/21 20:28:34
AR 615-360
SECTION X
CONVENIENCE OF GOVERNMENT
60. By whom discharge ordered.
a. Except as provided in b below, enlisted men will be discharged for the convenience of the Government by authority of the Secretary of War only. Such authority may be given either in each individual case or by an order applicable to all cases of a class specified. in the order.
b. in paragraph 5b may direct the discharge of an enlisted man for the convenience
of the Government to accept commission in the armed forces; to accept appoint-
ment as a commissioned warrant officer in the United States Coast Guard;
chief warrant officer in the United States Marine Corps; commissioned warrant
officer in the United States Navy, warrant officer in the Army of the United
States, and immediate call to active duty. Prior to such discharge for the
purpose stated, the discharging authority shall be in possession of documentary
evidence from the proper authority that such enlisted man is acceptable and will
be appointed as a commissioned officer, and will be called to active duty
immediately if discharged from the Army of the United States.

(1) Based upon enlisted man's importance to the national health, safety,
or interest, or
(2) Based upon claim that trainee was erroneously classified, should not have been inducted. and did not have an opportunity to present his case to the appeal board will be forwarded through the organization commander and the officer exercising discharge authority to The Adjutant General. together with appropriate recommendation. Final action under (1) and (2) above is taken by The Adjutant General.

(3) In case of enlisted man released under (1) above the following action will be taken:
(a) National Guardsman.-
Revert to state control. During the emergency, members of the National Guard of the United States on inactive status may not be discharged from their Federal status by State order.
(b) Members of Regular Army and  Reserve.-Revert to inactive status. 
(c) All others.-Discharge unless the War Department specifically directs transfer to a Reserve component.

Re:Question on Discharge Papers 2011/05/02 03:46:46
After getting some records back from the National Personnel Records Center it lists his cause of discharge as: Discontinuance of Civil Aeronautics Authority War Training Service.

Thanks,

-Greg
BillD53A
Squadron Member
Re:Question on Discharge Papers 2011/05/02 19:05:21
He was an uninjured, honorably discharged veteran of a foreign war.  He only served a little less than a year on active duty.  He was discharged early for the convenience of the government, because the war ended and he was no longer needed.  He went overseas for a couple weeks, but he was not needed due to the end of the war.  He was not wounded and not entitled to service connected disability.  He was honorably discharged.  He was not a trouble maker and did not have to make up any bad time. If he had served time in the brig, he would have had an equal amount of time added to his enlistment.   He got his discharge pin...his 'ruptured duck'.  He was paid a $100 bonus and they owed him $300 in pay.  (If he had bad time he either would have had to make up the time or they would have deducted a certain amount per day from the amount he was owed. )  His amount owed would have included pay, and any leave days he had coming to him. All the rest is the regulations that authorize the Army to discharge him early.