Author
John Cooper
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 163
  • Reward points : 860
2006/05/08 02:55:31 (permalink)

TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle

Hi All,

Just a quick questiuon about the TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle - were these optional equiptment on planes or standard? Additionally when did they first see service and were they considered "walk around bottles"

Thanks,

JOhn

10 Replies Related Threads

jhor9
    B17 Jock
    • Total Posts : 1971
    • Reward points : 4823
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 10:16:18 (permalink)
    Sevsral o2 bottles were standard equipment on the B17. They were walk around, each bottle held about 5-10 minutes o2, I forget how much

Jules Horowitz, B-17 pilot, 99th BG, 50 missions/sorties
    My tour was from 7/19/43-2/13/44
    jpeters140
    • Total Posts : 7280
    • Reward points : 19824
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 11:34:32 (permalink)
    John...According to my Illustrated Parts Catalog, the main O2 Bottles called for a G-1...this is the large set of 18 bottles comprising the O2 system on the B-17. (actually four seperate systems connected together). It was a 400 PSI system.

There were walk-around bottles, which were A-4 bottles, according to the Erection and Maintenance Instructions.

There was a F-1 O2 bottle attached to the ball turret on the "F" model B-17s. This was changed on the "G"s to allow connection thru the rotating support for the ball turret....a similar connection through the rotating support for the top turret.

I see no mention of a D-2 O2 Bottle on the B-17G.

Jim :-)

James S. Peters Sr. T/Sgt B-17 Flt Engr, 27 missions 99 BG, 348BS, 5th Wing, 15th AAF Tortorella, (Foggia#2), Italy My Tour was from 12/03/44-06/19/45 M/Sgt USAF (Retired)
    Dog_Driver
    Group Member
    • Reward points : 1215
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 15:06:28 (permalink)
    John,

By chance do you have a picture of the D-2 bottle you could post?  I'm trying to figure if it was the long skinny one that looks like a salami or the small round one that looks like a coconut (sorry abou the food analogies, but they fit).  The long skinny one was the bailout bottle.  I've been told that they are still carried on the C-130 and similar planes in the event of an emergency bailout.  The smaller, rounder one is the walk-around bottle.  At least on the B-24.

Cheers!

Doug Beckstead
    Historian
    Anchorage, Alaska
    bjsassy90
    Group Member
    • Total Posts : 167
    • Reward points : 0
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 17:17:31 (permalink)
    Doug, that walk around bottle, and heavy clothing, made a tight fit to get through the center braces on the cat walk of a B24. I`ve done it & it is  not a lot of fun with bomb bay doors open.
    Some times those little incindeary bombs floated around all over the bomb bay & had to be kicked off walk way. Lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BJ
    Division Member
    • Total Posts : 26122
    • Reward points : 0
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 18:52:57 (permalink)
    Doug,

Credit line for images at attachment is http://www.bellsaviation.com/catalog/viewcategory.php?categoryid=3

You'll have to hyper-link to the abve URL, then go to page two to see a D2, A-4 and A-6.

Take what you like and leave the rest....

Andy
    Hal Bolce
    Group Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    • Reward points : 2402
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 19:13:47 (permalink)

titleAndStar(93,0,0,false,"","")
    Wing Member

Hi,
    I posted this a few years ago in a discussion about oxygen bottles.  Although it does not answer your question directly, I think you will find it of interest.
    Hal

Lloyd, I am not certain about this but I believe every oxygen station, every crew station had a two foot oxygen recharger hose and a walk-around bottle. I can't remember if there were any spares or what stations had the larger bottles. As the years have passed, I can not remember anything about the time spent on B-29's or where the bottles were. Perhaps if I went back an checked some of the pictures, it might jog my memory. One main difference on the B-29's from the B-17's, we were provided a small high pressure "bail out" bottle which had a length of hose and fit in a pocket on the leg of your flight suit. Checking my B-29 school notes,they were small, SLIM, 1800 psi, high pressure and strapped to your thigh. They had a pipe stem end to hold with your teeth. It was recommended that if you were at 30,000 feet or more, you should put the stem under the chin of your mask, while leaving your mask on to prevent freezing your face - while you did a free fall of at lest 10,000 feet. If I have the story straight, you were supposed to hold your breath during the free fall to prevent loosing the bottle when you popped your chute. It took about 35 seconds to fall 10,000 feet. Hal ----- Original Message ----- From: Lloyd J Grant To: Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 5:57 PM Subject: Re: [HeavyBombers] Walk-Around Bottles > You bring up an interesting point, Hal. How many walk-around cannisters > were available on the plane of the various types you have mentioned? Were > there also "plug-ins" to the normal oxygen supply other than in assigned > positions? Very interesting. Palidin. > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: Heavy Bombers > Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 5:57 PM > Subject: [HeavyBombers] Walk-Around Bottles > > > / > > In the last few days, several posts referred to Walk-Around Bottles, the > Portable Oxygen Cylinders - which gave us the freedom to move about the > plane from the fixed oxygen stations at high altitude. I stated that they > were good for about 4 or 5 minutes. > > After reading the accounts of those who got into the bomb bay to free > hung-up bombs etc. and descriptions of crewmembers who died or nearly died > form anoxia while on a walk-around, I went back and searched for additional > information. Like everything else you did at high altitude, using a > walk-around could be hazardous if you were not alert. > > The type that I am most familiar with is called the A-2. It was small, fat, > green, low pressure, clipped on your clothing and was good for 3 to 7 > minutes if it was filled to 425 psi. How long a walk-around lasted depended > on how much work you were doing and your altitude. It is interesting to > note that a half full A-2 used to crawl into the tail position at 20,000 > feet might last only one minute! The warning that was repeated to us over > and over was to keep our eye on the pressure gage, not our watch, and head > for a refill when the gage reached 100 pounds. > > There were two larger sizes available, the A-6 which was also fat and > yellow. It could last from 15 to 40 minutes and the D-2 which was long, > yellow and good for 20 to 50 minutes. They had a strap which made it > convenient to carry on the shoulder. > > I do not remember ever using a D-2 cylinder but time dims. A D-2 could keep > an injured, resting crew member going for up to an hour before refilling. > > If you were going to aid a fellow crew member, you needed to take an > additional one for him -in the event he was having oxygen trouble. > > One thing I do remember, you could not squeeze through the bomb bay cat walk > braces with a bottle attached - any size. > > Hal Bolce > > \ >

Square K
    Wing Member
    • Total Posts : 758
    • Reward points : 2352
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/08 19:36:37 (permalink)
    I thought I might add this neat sketch that shows some oxygen bottles.   It is part of a collection drawn by my Uncle's co-pilot, Pete Ebersole, about a month after the airwar ended in Europe.
    Cheers,
    Keith

-Keith Hardie
    Nephew of John David Hardie, 447th BG waist gunner.
    www.447bg.com
    John Cooper
    Group Member
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/09 02:30:41 (permalink)
    Dog_Driver - it is the long skinny yellow one which is exactly like the one from the link above - here is a dirrect link...

ORIGINAL: Dog_Driver

John,

By chance do you have a picture of the D-2 bottle you could post?  I'm trying to figure if it was the long skinny one that looks like a salami or the small round one that looks like a coconut (sorry abou the food analogies, but they fit).  The long skinny one was the bailout bottle.  I've been told that they are still carried on the C-130 and similar planes in the event of an emergency bailout.  The smaller, rounder one is the walk-around bottle.  At least on the B-24.

Cheers!
    jhor9
    B17 Jock
    • Total Posts : 1971
    • Reward points : 4823
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/05/09 14:06:54 (permalink)
    I recall the walk around bottle to be shaped like a slightly flattened coconut

Jules Horowitz, B-17 pilot, 99th BG, 50 missions/sorties
    My tour was from 7/19/43-2/13/44
    John Cooper
    Group Member
    RE: TYPE D-2 Oxygen Bottle 2006/06/01 01:01:09 (permalink)
    All,

After doing some research I found some information that should answer this question for most people. I will post this under a new thread in the gear section - it will cover 3 types and the regulator...

Regards,

John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0