Question about rank/promotion during WWII

Author
Razor9212
Squadron Member
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 30
2011/05/04 18:04:53 (permalink)

Question about rank/promotion during WWII

I am researching a B-29 Navigator from WWII and am wondering when he would have advanced from 1Lt. to 2Lt. It is my understanding that he would have received 1Lt. upon successful completion of Aircrew Training and PreFlight School. I am wondering if he would have become a 2Lt. upon completion of Primary Flight Training, or if he would have achieved that rank via field promotion later? I do know that at some point between Oct 1944 and Jan 1945 he would have received the rank of 2Lt., but I'm not clear about the circumstances. I believe he completed flight training at Herington AAF, and went to Isley Field soon after (not sure if this bit of info helps or not). Any help would be most appreciated!!

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time." General George S. Patton 
"It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
-General H. Norman Schwarzkopf 

2 Replies Related Threads

Razor9212
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Reward points : 30
    Re:Question about rank/promotion during WWII 2011/05/04 18:39:36 (permalink)
    Ok, I think I found my answer, and in the event that anyone else may be wondering I will post the link where I found it. This is in Adobe, but goes into great detail about the Aviation Cadet Program.
    http://www.aetc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061109-026.pdf
    It is 109 pages of information on the topic, and very interesting, inmy opinion.

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time." General George S. Patton 
    "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
    -General H. Norman Schwarzkopf 

billrunnels
    Division Member
    • Total Posts : 1465
    • Reward points : 9003
    Re:Question about rank/promotion during WWII 2011/05/04 19:54:51 (permalink)
    He would have received the 2LT rating at the time he received his wings and commission on graduation from training school. In the 8thAF promotion to 1LT normally required one year in grade as a 2LT.

Bill Runnels
    Bombardier(B-17)
    8TH Air Force
    HELL'S ANGELS
    303RDBG, 360THBS
    http://www.303rdbg.com/runnels-memories.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0