Officer and Enlisted Serial Numbers
What is the difference between officer and enlisted serial numbers? Or, what can the serial number tell me? Answer:
Army Serial Numbers (ASN) consisted of a variety of alpha/numeric designations. The following is a brief description of ASNs assigned.
Officer serial numbers consist of the capital letter O, plus up to seven numbers; i.e. O-1234567 (NOTE: May be seen with or without a hyphen or space between the letter and numbers.)
Warrant Officer serial numbers consist of the capital letter W, plus seven numbers starting with the digits 21; i.e. W-2134567 (NOTE: May be seen with or without a hyphen or space between the letter and numbers.)
Flight Officer serial numbers consist of the capital letter T, plus up to six numbers; i.e. T-123456 (NOTE: May be seen with or without a hyphen or space between the letter and numbers.)
Enlisted serial numbers consist of seven or eight digits; i.e. 12345678
Regular Army enlisted men who entered the service before the outset of Selective Service bear seven-digit or lower serial numbers, usually beginning with "6" or "7."
The first two digits of an enlisted serial number are standard and equate to:
First digit -
- 1 = Men who ENLISTED in the Army of the United States
- 3 or 4 = Men inducted through Selective Service (drafted))
Second Digit represents the Army Corps Area where the soldier was acquired.
- 1 = First Corps Area (Maine-New Hampshire-Vermont-Massachusetts-Rhode Island-Connecticut) HQ=Boston, Mass.
- 2 = Second Corps Area (New Jersey-Delaware-New York) HQ=Governors Island, N.Y.
- 3 = Third Corps Area (Pennsylvania-Maryland-Virginia-District of Columbia) HQ=Baltimore, Md.
- 4 = Fourth Corps Area (North Carolina-South Carolina-Georgia-Florida-Alabama-Tennessee-Mississippi-Louisiana) HQ=Atlanta, Ga.
- 5 = Fifth Corps Area (Ohio-West Virginia-Indiana-Kentucky) HQ=Ft. Hayes, Ohio
- 6 = Sixth Corps Area (Illinois-Michigan-Wisconsin) HQ=Chicago, Ill.
- 7 = Seventh Corps Area (Missouri-Kansas-Arkansas-Iowa-Nebraska-Minnesota-North Dakota-South Dakota) HQ=Omaha, Nebr.
- 8 = Eighth Corps Area (Texas-Oklahoma-Colorado-New Mexico-Arizona (partly) HQ= Ft. Sam Houston, Tex.
- 9 = Ninth Corps Area (Washington-Oregon-Idaho-Montana-Wyoming-Utah-Nevada-Arizona (partly)-California-Alaska (attached) HQ=Presidio of San Francisco, Calif.
If the veteran was a National Guard member, the first two digits were 20 and the third digit represented the Corp Area as above.
The last several digits were sequential numbers assigned as the soldier was processed.
There are several other types of serial numbers for other categories of service connected personnel; i.e., Army Specialist Corps, WACs, Army Nurse Corps, Contract Surgeons and other medical staff. The website at http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page82.html
has an amplified description of Dog Tags and Army Serial Numbers, from which I obtained much of the above information.
post edited by Spec5 Mac - 2006/03/06 10:03:09