Love Field, Dallas, Texas

Author
Fluttrbye
Cadet
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 1394
2012/12/08 11:39:54 (permalink)

Love Field, Dallas, Texas

My Grandfather, Frederick W Strine, SR, was stationed at Love Field, Dallas, TX sometime around 1942 or 1943.  He was a "pilot trainer" and also flew B-29's to other parts of the world during WWII, possibly with the 5th Ferrying Group of the ATC (Air Transport Command) or some other group.  I do not know for certain when he switched from the Army Air Corp to the US Air Force.  But he retired from the US Air Force, date unknown.

Frederick W Strine, SR, died in 1971, so I am unable to ask him all the important questions regarding his military service with the Army Air Corp and US Air Force. 

1) I would like to know what section of the Army Air Corp did he serve with at Love Field, Dallas, Texas
2) I would like to know when did his military service start with the US Air Force.
3) I would like to know when he retired from the Air Force.
4) I would like to know what grade or rank did he attain in the Air Force.
5) I would like to know if there are any photos of him during his Army Air Corp and US Air Force military service.

Who or where can I turn to to find these answers?  Does anyone know?

Below is Frederick W Strine's military information that I know of:

[<font] [<font]Frederick W. Strine
Army Serial # 14169408
Birth:
20 Dec 1898
Death: May 1971
Enlisted: 10-01-1942
Branch: Air Corps
Civilian Occupation: Aviator

(the following are records from National Archives)
4th Corps Area – NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN
RESIDENCE: STATE 45 MISSISSIPPI
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 049 HINDS
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 4545 CP SHELBY MISSISSIPPI
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private (but at his release his grade was Major) according to National Archives.
GRADE: CODE 8 Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION AC# Air Corps
BRANCH: CODE 20 Air Corps
EDUC. SPEC. ## ##
DEFER. DATE MONTH 44 44
DEFER. DATE YEAR 03 03
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
NATIVITY 61 ILLINOIS

post edited by Fluttrbye - 2012/12/11 12:50:49
bernies
Division Member
  • Total Posts : 1383
  • Reward points : 4815
Re:Love Field, Dallas, Texas 2012/12/11 11:50:33 (permalink)
First, I would strongly advise you to delete your father's SSAN from your post. 

There are some other folks who can give you advice on dealing with the Records Center at St Louis and who are familiar with geneology sites that could get a bit more information.
As for Love Field, you are correct in believing it was primarily a station of the Air Corps Ferrying Command (later Air Transport Command) in 1942-1943.

Units at Love included the 5th Ferrying Group, the 2d, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 62d, and 91st Ferrying Squadrons, the 14th Transport Transition Training Detachment, the 347th Base Headquarters & Air Base Squadron, the 1042d Guard Squadron, the 24th Sub Depot, the 391st (later 691st) AAF Band and several Air Depot Detachments.  http://www.airforcehistoryindex.org/ contains a searchable list of abstracts of AF unit histories and other documents that are available at the Air Force Historical Research Agency that may help determine what unit he was in.

If you have information on his AF serial number (or a later Army one), it would be helpful.  If he had an Air Force Serial Number identical to his Army serial number with an AF prefix, it would indicate he was still enlisted in September 1947, when the AAF was replaced by the USAF.
If he had another Army Serial Number with an O prefix, that would indicate he was an officer before transferring to the USAF.
His officer serial number in the USAF would likely be prefixed by AO (reserve - same as his O serial number in the Army if he had one). or suffixed by A (regular AF).  About 1964, the AO was replaced briefly by FV and the A was replaced by FR.  A couple of years later, the USAF dropped serial numbers and replaced them with the Social Security Number with an FV or FR at the end.

Bernie Shearon
Push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. Pull the stick back, the houses get smaller (unless you keep pulling -- then they get bigger again)
Fluttrbye
Cadet
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 1394
Re:Love Field, Dallas, Texas 2012/12/11 17:52:28 (permalink)
To Bernies,
You suggested the following:
"If you have information on his AF serial number (or a later Army one), it would be helpful.  If he had an Air Force Serial Number identical to his Army serial number with an AF prefix, it would indicate he was still enlisted in September 1947, when the AAF was replaced by the USAF.
If he had another Army Serial Number with an O prefix, that would indicate he was an officer before transferring to the USAF.
His officer serial number in the USAF would likely be prefixed by AO (reserve - same as his O serial number in the Army if he had one). or suffixed by A (regular AF).  About 1964, the AO was replaced briefly by FV and the A was replaced by FR.  A couple of years later, the USAF dropped serial numbers and replaced them with the Social Security Number with an FV or FR at the end. "

How do I go about finding a US Air Force serial number or any other number you mentioned for my Grandfather?  I have clue where to look online, or who to ask.  Thank you Bernies

Scott Burris
Benevolent Dictator
  • Total Posts : 2612
  • Reward points : 20185
Re:Love Field, Dallas, Texas 2012/12/12 11:44:34 (permalink)
Always a good place to start:

http://www.armyairforces.com/ResearchHelp.aspx

Scott Burris, 381st BGMA 
ArmyAirForces.com
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0