General Kristofferson

Author
visalya
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points : 3256
2006/03/02 21:52:20 (permalink)

General Kristofferson

I'm trying to find a biography of a General Kristofferson....he would be the father of actor/country music songwriter, etc, Kris Kristofferson.  I've written the USAF but they claim not to have any such Bio saying that the General apparently didn't craft one.  Seems the USAF or USAAF would have had one just because he was a General.  Anyway, Kris was born in Brownsville, TX in the mid-30's so I was curious what rank his dad was at that time and where he was stationed.  Harlingen AAF was down that way.  Anyway, my query is just one of personal nature since nothing much about the dad has surfaced although his son has received much acclaim over the years.  I figure the dad must have had a pretty interesting life given he was in the USAAF, so where was he born, did he go to college, what did he do in the AAF, where was he assigned, when did he retire, etc., and so forth.  I'm unaware of any book about his life but if someone knows of one I'd be happy to start searching for it.  I'm looking for some details if anyone has any they can share.

Larry
Son of Cpl Charles Caldwell, Engineer Crewman, USAAF Crash Boat, P-258, Rey Island, Panama (Pacific side)
bjsassy90
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Reward points : 0
RE: General Kristofferson 2006/03/02 23:48:27 (permalink)
Larry:
In your search I would try to get to Kris for info about
his father.
Google has a lot of webs to search. Maybe you can find
one with a feed back. Also try " www.opry.co" & www.gactv.com/opry/index.html.
Youhave a tough one.
bjsassy90
hkellerjr
MULESKINNER 5
  • Total Posts : 824
  • Reward points : 7278
RE: General Kristofferson 2006/03/03 03:50:39 (permalink)
Google of Kris Kristofferson.  Why not try and email him iwth your request.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001434/

Howard W. Keller, Jr. (LTC, US Army, Ret)
Historian,
452nd Bomb Group Association
steveburris
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 298
  • Reward points : 1176
RE: General Kristofferson 2006/03/13 00:18:08 (permalink)
Larry,
I have him in my records, Henry C. Kristofferson  COL,
as serving with the ATC at our base near Karachi, India.
He is mentioned in the 1st volume of
"China Airlift- The Hump". Can't tell you about what it says,
as I had checked out a copy through the inter-library loan
dept. of my public library.

He is also listed as retiring from the USAF Res. in August 1965
as a Major General. This from the Air Force Register 1968.
His serial number suggests that he was commissioned into the
Army in the mid-1920's, probably in a branch of the army other
than the Air Corps (or was it still the Air Service then?).

Hope that this helps you, Steve
visalya
Group Member
RE: General Kristofferson 2006/03/24 22:20:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the assistance....but you'd think the USAF would have a bio of one of their generals.   Getting a note to Kris might be more difficult than you would think.  I'm not giving up...Kris has a bio of his own in the works so I'm attempting to get a msg via a publisher that some in-depth info on his dad might be of interest to others.  Thanks for the leads, I have been able to get a little further than when I started finding occasional tidbits here and there via google, etc.   One web site was linked to the Air Force but it appears that one is no long active...it allegedly had a bio.  I do have an address so will try the snail mail approach and see if that produces something.  Again, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Larry
Son of Cpl Charles Caldwell, Engineer Crewman, USAAF Crash Boat, P-258, Rey Island, Panama (Pacific side)
visalya
Group Member
RE: General Kristofferson 2007/03/30 22:37:54 (permalink)
My search for a comprehensive bio on this elusive General continues, but I did receive an email from AFHSO Research today with some nuggets of info that I thought I would share.  At some point in the past someone here suggested contacting Vicky Crone, Librarian, Bolling AFB who was or had assembled a bio.  I was advised that Ms. Crone had left the organization and left no such document on the General.  Here is what they had to say:

"His name was Henry C. Kristofferson.  After WWII General Kristofferson left active duty in the Air Force for private life, however, he remained the USAF Reserves.  During the Korean War, General Kristofferson was activated to take charge of air transportation on the west coast for the Military Air Transport Service, Pacific Division.  During WWII he had been very instrumental in the smooth operation of the North African Division of the Air Transport Division.  During the time he was activated for the Korean War he wrote a study on the Air Transport Service known as, The Kristofferson Report."

Another source (Pomona College Magazine Online, Winter 2004), based on an interview of the General's son, Kris Kristofferson, in which he states that his father's name was, 'Henry Kristoffer Kristofferson who became a commercial pilot and then an airline pilot after retiring from the Air Force as a Major General.  They moved several times before settling in the upscale Northern California community of San Mateo.'

Online I also found a few more tidbits of the General.  'Lars Henry Kristoffer Kristofferson was born August 16, 1905, Tacoma, WA.  He died in Fallbrook, CA.  He did not give his children middle names because he disliked having such a long name.  The General was married to Mary Ann Ashbrook of Columbus Barracks, OH.  They had three children, Kris, Karen and Kraig'.

The oldest son Kris was born in Brownsville, TX in June 1936....part of my curiosity for the General's bio was what may have caused him to be assigned in or near Brownsville while on active duty.  What was his mission there?

Anyway, the search for an in-depth bio on the General continues.  I would appreciate any additional information any of you may come across in the future and likewise, if I come across anything substantial I will post it here.

I've asked about acquiring a copy of the 'Kristofferson Report'.

Larry

Son of Cpl Charles Caldwell, Radio Operator/Radio Mechanic, B-24 flightline, Harlingen AAF, TX

Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0