Reply to post

B-24 Liberators Over YAM

Author
WillowRun
  • Total Posts : 2040
  • Reward points : 19878
2008/09/06 10:27:20 (permalink)

B-24 Liberators Over YAM

On Sunday, 10AU08, under heavy and ominous skies, those attending the 2008 TOM were treated to a sight not seen in many, many decades over the Willow Run Plant and tarmac: B-24's flying in tandem. Thanks to the Colling's Foundation B-24J, the Witchcraft (named after a FO WR built B-24H), and the CAF's B-24A, Ol 927, the visitors at TOM were given a "snapshot" of history.  In two of the attached pics, the B-24J is to the right and the B-24A to the left.  The 3rd undated, archived pic shows B-24's queued up on the tarmac during the FO WR "hey days."  Hopefully, I'll have more/better pics later!  Best Regards!  Steven

Attached Image(s)

Best Regards!
Steven P. Puhl
Ford Willow Run B-24 Bomber Plant (FO) Historian
MODERATOR: http://www.armyairforces.com/
Life Member: Yankee Air Museum
Member: 8TH AF Historical Society
Member: 2ND Air Division Historical Society 

5 Replies Related Threads

jimharley
    Cadet
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Reward points : 10
    Re:B-24 Liberators Over YAM 2009/08/28 23:21:49 (permalink)
    0 (1)
    Hello! thought you guys would get a kick out of these...shot these from Witchcraft at Thunder last year. Also threw a couple in from "bomber camp" taken this year.
    enjoy,
    jim harley
    collings foundation

WillowRun
    Re:B-24 Liberators Over YAM 2009/08/30 09:04:13 (permalink)
    Jim,  Welcome aboard the Site!  Thanks for posting those great pix.  I missed seeing either one of the two Libs this year at TOM, and, seeing these pix really made me feel good. Anyone at any air show throughout the country has a real chance to "see and touch history" when these birds are present.  Thanks again for sharing!

Best Regards!
    Steven P. Puhl

cbiboy
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 84
    • Reward points : 2967
    Re:B-24 Liberators Over YAM 2009/08/31 20:22:17 (permalink)
    Hi, Steven! I love those two B-24 formation photos, gray skies and all! The overcast seems to evoke a nostalgic distant time when Libs and Forts flew the dark skies of WWII. My one and only time seeing two B-24s flying together came during my first air show since childhood--at the New England Escadrille Warbird Airshow at Manchester Airport, NH (the former Grenier Field), Oct. 1989. As the two B-24Js All American and Delectable Doris flew by in formation, I remember the announcer telling the crowd to take pictures of this rare event because it was likely to be the last time most would see two Libs flying together again.
    Ramsbury
    Cadet
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Reward points : 1068
    Re:B-24 Liberators Over YAM 2009/09/11 16:02:07 (permalink)
    Fantastic pictures.

Can't imagine why the YAM  didn't take the chance to make this happen at Thunder 05. I guess cost will probably be the factor as Diamond Lil was static all weekend - not that anyone was compaining having seen 8 B17's in formation, but the chance to have seen 10 four engined heavies in the sky together wasn't taken either.

That said, I was on the end of the runway for the stream take off of the 17's on the Sunday and was one of just eight people who experienced that spine tingling sight, and two of us were from the UK!!
    WillowRun
    Re:B-24 Liberators Over YAM 2009/09/13 20:34:05 (permalink)
    Hi Neil!   Good Sunday evening from the other side of "the Pond."  I can't give you an "exact executive decision" why all the bombers weren't airborne in the 2005 TOM, but will give you a few facts.  First off, the TOM weekend was designated as the gathering of "Heavies" scheduled for Aug. 6, 7, 2005 with the CAF B-29 "Fifi," the two Libs (Collings Foundation B-24J and the CAF B-24A) and a gathering of up to 12 B-17s.  It was timed to also commemorate the 50th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.  As fate would have it, "Fifi" had been grounded some time before for structural problems and has not been airworthy since.  The CAF "Diamond Lil" (now OLE 927) was a booked as a static display and the Collings Foundation B-24J was booked pretty solid giving "Fantasy Rides."  (I flew in it on Sunday, and it turned out to be one of the most fantastic experiences I've had!)  As for the B-17 stream, that was so moving even though it was only a small clip of what was seen over Europe during those war-torn years. You must have had a great view!  Sorry I couldn't give you more info, but at least you have a bit more. 

Best Regards!
    Steven P. Puhl

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0