Air Medal citations?

Author
Kpete879
Squadron Member
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 568
2011/02/09 10:29:15 (permalink)

Air Medal citations?

Just wondering if there is a location on the web where you can get the citations for issued Air Medals? My grandfather received the award along with 4 oak clusters and if possible I'd like to see if there were citations issued. They may have been generic citations though so I'm not sure anything will exist. He served with the 483rd BG 817th sqn in Italy 19-44-45. I figured I'd post this here first instead of their forum but can do both.

Looking for S/Sgt Roy H Baine.

Thanks
Kris

Please email me at kpete879@att.net

4 Replies Related Threads

shooshoobaby
    Air Force Brat
    • Total Posts : 6406
    • Reward points : 7481
    Re:Air Medal citations? 2011/02/09 13:02:50 (permalink)
    Kris -
    The Air Medal was awarded for Specific number of
    Missions flown. Oak Leaf Cluster awarded for a
    Specific number of Missions flown after that.
    15th AF Forum Members can tell you how many.
    Keep Checking -
    Mike

Kpete879
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 14
    • Reward points : 568
    Re:Air Medal citations? 2011/02/09 13:06:56 (permalink)
    Well he completed 50 missions. So I don't think they can all be for missions unless they gave them out every ten. He was involved in the Memmingen mission though where two of his crew were awarded the Silver Star and  the unit got a Presidential Citation so not sure if that factors in.

martyjhawk
    Division Member
    • Total Posts : 1006
    • Reward points : 7355
    Re:Air Medal citations? 2011/02/09 23:20:05 (permalink)
    Kris,

The general rule of thumb was an AM for completing 5 missions, then another one (as an OLC) for each additional five.  I think there were both bronze and silver OLC's.

AM's were also sometimes awarded for being credited with shooting down an enemy plane.

If you get the microfilm records for his squadron from Maxwell, they might include records that show when he was awarded any of his medals.  If you can find his separation papers I think they are supposed to list all the medals he was awarded, but not necessarily what they were awarded for.  You can also try having his closest living relative write to the records office in St. Louis to see if they have any of his records.

Marty
    bernies
    Division Member
    • Total Posts : 1383
    • Reward points : 4832
    Re:Air Medal citations? 2011/02/11 16:12:35 (permalink)
    My experience was a little later, but I don't think things changed much.  I know there was no citation (or medal or certificate) for any of the oak leaf clusters, just a general order reciting the required language to justify the award and awarding the clusters.  IIRC, a certificate came with the first award, but again no citation, just the general order.  Also, there was not necessarily a general order for each OLC.  In my experience, clusters were usually awarded in groups of five (silver OLC), with an odd number for however many had been earned but not awarded at the end of tour.

Bernie Shearon
    Push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. Pull the stick back, the houses get smaller (unless you keep pulling -- then they get bigger again)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0