1st Lt Gregory T Vamvakerides pilot 515thBS

Author
georgegreece
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 3093
2009/09/28 07:30:49 (permalink)

1st Lt Gregory T Vamvakerides pilot 515thBS

I m searching informations and photos about 1st Lt Gregory T Vamvakerides.

In the mission of 11 November 1944 Lt Vamvakerides was co-pilot in the 2nd Lt Donald F Langer's crew. Their aircraft B-24G 42-78337 suffered engine failure and ditched at sea.  Lt Vamvakerides was the only survivor
in a small dinghy with broken leg.

I would like to know few things about his operational duty... Langer's crew was his original crew? Number of missions, Ploesti raid, aircraft name, decorations, photos etc.

I would be grateful for any help!

George                                              e-mail: georgechalkiadopoulos@yahoo.gr
bossongs
Cadet
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 67
Re:1st Lt Gregory T Vamvakerides pilot 515thBS 2011/09/28 17:54:26 (permalink)
Hi George,

My Uncle Edward Kane was the radio Operator on that crew.  I pulled the MACR a few years back and did some research on the Crew, Aircraft and my uncle's 'story' from enlistment-to-Italy.

From what I've found, this was the crew's fourth mission.  I have more details on the airframe's history (mission's flown, etc) and will post when I return home (currently travelling).   I also have a copy of the mission overview and a picture of the target, a train bridge in Northern Italy.

I'm happy to share everything I've pulled together that may be of interest to you.

Regards, Steve B.

georgegreece
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 3093
Re:1st Lt Gregory T Vamvakerides pilot 515thBS 2011/09/28 18:32:50 (permalink)
Hello Steve, many thanks for your message! I'm waiting with huge interest all the informations that you mentioned!!! I downloaded the MACR from here: www.footnote.com  I have some pictures about Lt Vamvakerides (aka Vamvax) because I am in contact with his son but unfortunately no photos or infos about you uncle... I have also a picture of target in Eleusis airbase at Athens (Greece). Also, Lt Vamvakerides was co-pilot in James Bishop's crew in some early missions and they had ditched in a mission 16 October '44 without losses in the crew.
Kind regards
George Chalkiadopoulos
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0