1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair

Author
WillowRun
AMIABLE HISTORIAN
  • Total Posts : 2042
  • Reward points : 20049
2008/11/21 19:56:57 (permalink)

1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair

Before attempting my "Retirement Craft" of completing four 1:72 scale B-24 Liberators (a D, J and M with the 4th actually being a PB4Y-2 Privateer), I have a "repair" question about a 1950ish Display model "Box Kit" entitled "Buffalo Bill."  It was given to me by a "collector" and in the need of MOD!  The prop blades and machine guns are missing while the rest of the A/C is intact.  There is no scale, and, as I was told, its scale was "determined by the box size."  If I had to guess, it would be in a 1:90ish scale, give or take.  If it were to scale, I would have no problem.  I've already picked through old/used and bits and pieces dumped in the back rooms of hobby, craft and modeling shops without success.  ANY TIPS???  Thanks! 
post edited by WillowRun - 2008/11/22 09:08:25

Best Regards!
Steven P. Puhl
Ford Willow Run B-24 Bomber Plant (FO) Historian
MODERATOR: http://www.armyairforces.com/
Life Member: Yankee Air Museum
Member: 8TH AF Historical Society
Member: 2ND Air Division Historical Society 

Tom22
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 9735
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/22 01:35:13 (permalink)
Hi Steven,

Here is a link to a re-issue of the kit you have.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=11988&manu=Revell

At 1/96 scale you are not going to find anything that works with these "Box Scale" kits.

If it were me I would paid the price build it as in a flying desk top model mounted on the cool REVELL-VING SWIVEL BASE.

Attach is the original box art

It is interesting that B-24 Best Web does not list a real BUFFALO BILl. But Revell's artists usually used a real aircraft and dramatize them

Best of luck with your project,

Tom

Attached Image(s)

WillowRun
AMIABLE HISTORIAN
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/22 09:29:56 (permalink)
Tom22

Hi Steven,
Here is a link to a re-issue of the kit you have.
At 1/96 scale you are not going to find anything that works with these "Box Scale" kits.
If it were me I would paid the price build it as in a flying desk top model mounted on the cool REVELL-VING SWIVEL BASE.
It is interesting that B-24 Best Web does not list a real BUFFALO BILL. But Revell's artists usually used a real aircraft and dramatize them
Best of luck with your project,
Tom

Tom,   Thanks for the tip!  Two notes... This particular one that I have does have the swivel ball joint" on the bottom of the fuselage, but no plastic stand.  You're tip about purchasing the whole kit is probably the best idea.  Secondly, when I looked this "nose art" up in Wally Forman's B-24 Nose Art Dirctory, it gave ONLY the name and listed it without having a picture and with no BG/BS assigned to it.  This I found strange for, if it existed, Wally seems to have it.  Just some thoughts!  Again, I haven't done a model since I was a kid, and back then it was balsa models and the early advent of plastic ones on a limited basis. Thanks!

Best Regards!
Steven P. Puhl

Bob Watkins
'Battle Colors'
  • Total Posts : 1698
  • Reward points : 9391
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/22 12:37:07 (permalink)
Just a thought Steven.

If your just getting back into the hobby and are not already familiar
with it, you might want to check out Fine Scale Modeler magazine.
Lots of good tips on improving modeling skills, kit evaluations, etc.

Good luck with your project,

Bob

buckeyeuk
Scooter
  • Total Posts : 1750
  • Reward points : 11410
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/22 12:56:56 (permalink)
I can clearly remember making this model ( well I say "making" ) in the late 1950s when I was about 10; I'm sure it had an Emerson front turret though.
We didn't know much about units , sub-types or colours then --very little reference --but I know I painted it sand and grey; one of the very first models I bought. We were very catholic in tastes, a plane one week, ship the next and then a tank. I think what attracted me to "Bill" was the box artwork; some really nice stuff then before they put photos of the completed model on the box.
When I bought my first book---Ray Wagner's "American Combat Planes" in 1961 I was hooked. Still have it and use it. There were a lot of models then which had unusual features---remember the old Aurora/Merit planes with embossed markings ?  Happy Days.......................Nick
WillowRun
AMIABLE HISTORIAN
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/23 14:23:04 (permalink)
Nick and Bob,  Thanks for the posts!  Yes, I recall the "modeling days of yester-years" which would have been the late 40's and early 50's for me.  I do not expect to have "museum-quality-show-pieces," but I am sure I shall enjoy it.  I did browse through a copy of the December 2008 Fine Scale Modeler, and found the basic tool insert most valuable.  The generic article with pics on the B-24 Liberator was okay, but the related info on model kits was more to my liking.  As an aside, I've included a pic taken in '42 on a stormy night over the FO WR plant. Thanks again for the tips!

Attached Image(s)

Best Regards!
Steven P. Puhl

buckeyeuk
Scooter
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/11/27 08:01:17 (permalink)
Steven.........if the nose art on "Buffalo Bill" is fictitious I wonder if Revell based it on " Boulder Buff " ( 492BG ) ?

I can't remember if the original model had a serial number but the background on the box-top is a desert scene ( note the FO colour division !) . Mine had an Emerson turret like this but the re-issue had a Consolidated.
( The anti-glare on the attached picture is Dallas rather than San Diego and the name should be black ).

Regards   Nick

Attached Image(s)

Lynn Fairbanks
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 2732
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/12/04 08:12:32 (permalink)
Steven--the kit was, according to John Burns book WW2 AIRCRAFT KITS, Revell's in the l950's (I built one myself then).Scale was, according to Burns, 1/92. one you really don't see around today.  It's going to be tough to find replace the parts so some kitbashing might be in order--i.e. looking for old parts and creating prop blades, etc.  With some sanding and puttying, you'll be surprised how good the replacements look.  Also, Schiffer has a couple of books on the related subject of Revell, both by Thomas Graham.  I just got one on aircraft box art and if you wnat to prod your memory, check it out with some of the old Revell art from the 50's.  It's a great book (BOX TOP AIR POWER and REMEMBERING REVELL.).  BUFFALO BILL's box is in there, along with my favorite, the old B-25 Tokyo Raider (THE FLYING DRAGON).  Good luck on your project.

Lynn Robert Fairbanks
History/Social Science Dept.
Paramount (CA) HS
buckeyeuk
Scooter
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/12/04 15:30:14 (permalink)
Lynn            you'll appreciate this then; the 1995 re-issue of the 1954 "Flying Dragon". The original is at bottom, the models were made to fit a "standard" size box ( about 1/60) . The top one is the re-issue, in a larger box .
The artist who did the painting flew with the Hungarians on the Eastern Front.
I don't know if the box art was that colour or if it's the printing but it looks more like Desert Sand than Olive Drab ( which the model is ). Nice stand though.

Nick

Attached Image(s)

Tom22
Group Member
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 9735
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/12/04 19:53:53 (permalink)
Hi All,

“Buffalo Bill” (what a natural name for a B-24) was a real ship.

Here is post in the 450th BG forum, but no pictures.

http://forum.armyairforces.com/B24-Buffalo-Bill-m59578.aspx

The “Flying Dragon” also is a real ship and somewhere in 30 years of stuff I have a picture of the top and lower turret of "Flying Dragon", if I can find it I will post it.

Maybe somewhere in Revell’s files they have pictures of the nose art for these two ships.

Tom
WillowRun
AMIABLE HISTORIAN
Re:1950 Display Model "Box Kit" Repair 2008/12/04 19:53:57 (permalink)
Lynn and Nick,  Thanks for the posts!  Yep, the pic of the nose art on the box is the one I have.  I'm trying to procure another whole kit, even though I've figured out how to fab some of the missing parts.  We'll see what happens!

Attached Image(s)

Best Regards!
Steven P. Puhl

Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0