Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
James Herndon
Squadron Member
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points : 2828
2009/12/11 02:40:48 (permalink)

1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3

I decided to start a new thread for AMB 3. My "Works In Progress" thread has others not shown here. This plane was described as "War Weary"when they took it over after crashin' (no one lost) No. 2, Hence the heavy weathering, patches, and repairs. For all you folks out there, who truly know, I have taken some Artistic License in some areas. I didn't know where to get drawings of duct routing for air tubes and oil cooler, so I "made it work" I had reference as to which went were but not a true drawing (does any one know where to get one for the next project). I also omitted some detail in the interior for clarity sake, but tried to include as much as possible. So Lets get started.

Enjoy, James

Attached Image(s)

James B. Herndon II __-_-_/"\_-_-__
Beandawg Artworks
Research, Custom Model Building,
Custom Jacket Painting, Artwork

31 Replies Related Threads

James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/11 02:51:07 (permalink)
    I'm trying a new way to add photo's hope it works!

Beandawg Artworks
    James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/11 03:04:11 (permalink)
    0 (1)
    Yeah !! it worked now I can do more, and quicker! Not so many post and these guys don't have to store the photos.

Well that's it for now but she is movin' right along, so more soon.

Beandawg Artworks
    Park
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 29
    • Reward points : 1327
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/11 08:55:52 (permalink)
    Nice work!
    Bob Watkins
    'Battle Colors'
    • Total Posts : 1689
    • Reward points : 9221
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/11 12:05:08 (permalink)
    Looking real good James.

Hope your keeping track of your time on this project.
    It would be interesting to see just how many total
    hours you end up putting into the finished piece.

Bob

B17modeler
    Group Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    • Reward points : 3729
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/11 15:05:04 (permalink)
    Wow! That engine is beautiful! Everything look's awesome! The only thing I can fault is very small, the data stencil was carried on the left side of the nose only, would never be on the right side. Other than that, stunnin work! I'm really impressed.

As I've told you before, you should share your work else where as well. I originally recomended the FSM forums, I've since changed my mind. They changed they're forum and totally jacked it all up, ruined it. So I recomend http://www.swannysmodels.com/yabb2/YaBB.pl. This site has grown all of a sudden in the wake of fsm, it's a real good site, good community, and easy to navigate. You will get alot more traffic there.
    James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/13 17:44:06 (permalink)
    Well I have come to an end with this build. It has been a Joy to do. I have learned a lot about a family member, and the B-17. I have always thought of the 17 as my favorite plane. I built both of these models in my youth, and was very glad Revell/Monogram brought back the old Clear side kit. I have for the past few years concentrated on Ships, so it has been fun returning to Aircraft. Thanks for all the help I have received from the GREAT and Knowledgeable Folks on this forum, I shall be studying here often in the future as I now have a lot of planes to build! I Hope ya"ll have enjoyed this Build as Much as I have!!

James

The next two are a higher rez. so you can zoom in better.

These next ones are of both planes together again.

See ya'll soon gettin' a 24 next!!!

Beandawg Artworks
    airwar
    MDE
    • Total Posts : 2102
    • Reward points : 5107
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/15 13:43:37 (permalink)
    Hello James,what an exelent work.The details,you must have a strong hand to build and paint this aircraft.Hope to see your next.Do you have also a B-24 ?

kind regards from Holland,

Jaap Vermeer

USAAF & RAF Researcher in the Nijkerk,Putten Voorthuizen area.Crashes in Holland & Europe
    http://www.groenegroep.nl
    member SGLO AirWar StudyGroup, Holland
    Member of the Dutch Empire ( MDE)
    James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2009/12/15 18:05:12 (permalink)
    Hey Jaap, No I haven't done a 24 yet that will be my project for next winter. The next thing i will be doing is a set of 1/72 F4 Phantoms as the thunderbirds, a kit from my past. I'll be back here from time to time getting info on my 24 as I have no Idea which to do??? See Ya soon!
    James

Beandawg Artworks
    thart10
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 25
    • Reward points : 158
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/05/27 04:59:28 (permalink)
    Excellent!  From one modeller to another, I tip my hat to you.
    Please tell me, after all that interior detail work, you didn't paint over the "Clear" Side,  too.  I thought of doing the same thing, as an educational project for our local IPMS Clubs Clinics.  We hold them at 4-H, Boy Scouts, or anyone else that will put down their Ipods long enough to listen.  But I don't know enough about the inner workings of a B17 to do it right. 
    If you aren't already a member, look up your local club here:  http://www.ipmsusa.org/index.htm
    I started out on planes, but switched to cars, because they offered a lot more creativity.  From 1961 until 1992, I never took my cars to a contest and came in less than Third.  Beep!  Beep!  Honkin' my own horn. Most of the guys in our club are military modellers.  I hooked up with them at a local hobby shop, run by a retired NAVY Chief, while doing research for an airplane project.  In 1985 I only had the left side photo of this crash and when & where it happened.  Nothing on why or how, so the model was pure speculation.
    After doing shiny cars for years, I got back into the detail aspect of the artform after building the HO Model Railroad I'd always wanted as a kid, for my three year old nephew.  I found it's easier to convince people that photos of a model are the real thing as long as there a no "plastic" people in the shot.  It was also easier to show the details I built into a model if it was of a wreck.  I'll post some pix of my work, if I can.
    James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/05/30 22:26:36 (permalink)
    thart10

Excellent!  From one modeller to another, I tip my hat to you.
    Please tell me, after all that interior detail work, you didn't paint over the "Clear" Side,  too.  I thought of doing the same thing, as an educational project for our local IPMS Clubs Clinics.  We hold them at 4-H, Boy Scouts, or anyone else that will put down their Ipods long enough to listen.  But I don't know enough about the inner workings of a B17 to do it right. 
    If you aren't already a member, look up your local club here:  http://www.ipmsusa.org/index.htm
    I started out on planes, but switched to cars, because they offered a lot more creativity.  From 1961 until 1992, I never took my cars to a contest and came in less than Third.  Beep!  Beep!  Honkin' my own horn. Most of the guys in our club are military modellers.  I hooked up with them at a local hobby shop, run by a retired NAVY Chief, while doing research for an airplane project.  In 1985 I only had the left side photo of this crash and when & where it happened.  Nothing on why or how, so the model was pure speculation.
    After doing shiny cars for years, I got back into the detail aspect of the artform after building the HO Model Railroad I'd always wanted as a kid, for my three year old nephew.  I found it's easier to convince people that photos of a model are the real thing as long as there a no "plastic" people in the shot.  It was also easier to show the details I built into a model if it was of a wreck.  I'll post some pix of my work, if I can.

Thanks Thart10 for reminding me that I had not posted any of the interior photos, how could i have forgotten! So for Memorial Day in Honor of Grandpa Bill, Al Winant, the rest of the crew of the AMB's, and ALL those who gave to keep this country GREAT, I give you these. As for the IMPS, just today I was explainin' to the little lady that I wanted to join so I too could get some of the younger Gen. to enjoy something other than X-box, and learn a little history along the way. By researching a build one can learn a lot, as I have about a family member, or anything you wish to build. I will be entering both the AMBs in a show/contest this August, I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for looking. Now for the rest of the photos.

James

[font="'lucida grande'"]
    [font="'lucida grande'"]

[font="'lucida grande'"]

[font="'lucida grande'"]

[font="'lucida grande'"]

[font="'lucida grande'"]

Beandawg Artworks
    thart10
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/02 02:48:44 (permalink)
    Really nice work.  I'm gonna have to get me one of those Visable B17 kits.
    I've been more interested in the "F" models, because that's what my Dad was in when it crashed at Mareeba AB, Queensland AU, Sept 42.  A photo I knew about, led to this "imagineered version I built, long before I found out what really happened.  Dad did get to see it before taking his "Last Flight" in '88.  Check out a website called "Pacific Wrecks". 
    Everything it took me 25 years to find out about the "Miss Carriage"  is listed there, along with a lot of other info you might find interesting.
    The "Moving Wall" was here this weekend, so I got to pay my respects to some of my friends that didn't come home from Viet Nam, in a special way.

Attached Image(s)

Silver Dollar
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Reward points : 832
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/03 01:43:53 (permalink)
    Hey thart, that's a great looking dio with some good photos.  What scale was that?

James, you've given me a great idea. I think I'm going to get one of those visible kits but instead of using the clear side straight out of the box, I'm going to sand it down, remove all of the goofy panel lines, thin the clear plastic and polish it to clear again.  That way, I'll really be able to see the interior detail.  Thanks for providing such a great example for me to follow.  Yours is the first one I've seen that really looks like it's supposed to. 
    Park
    Squadron Member
    • Total Posts : 29
    • Reward points : 1327
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/03 08:05:20 (permalink)
    Awsome model !
    Al Crosson
    Group Member
    • Total Posts : 261
    • Reward points : 9094
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/03 18:31:47 (permalink)
    Nice diorama.  Would any of you modelers happen to know if the decal paper sold at Staples will work for making your own decals for plastic models?  I want to make up some decals for a specific 381st Bomb Group aircraft but am not sure if this is the correct decal paper.  Thanks for any info. 
    thart10
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/04 03:40:45 (permalink)
    Interesting project idea.  Those photos could have been just a touch better with the use of a UV Filter Lens to remove reflections and adjusting the camera angle so the 4 ft flourescent lights in the background don't reflect off the "Glossy" plastic surface. 
    Nuttin' personal James, but that's a common mistake made by many modellers, use to photographing,  Flat painted Military and Model trains, where you use natural light to highlight the details, rather than blot them out.  I did the same thing with the Kodak car while learning the difference between Flash, Natural & Available light, taking pictures of my Model Railroad, where everything but the rails got a cover coat of "Dull Coat".  That was back when we had to wait for the film to come back, to see our mistakes.
    I would send you guys some more pix of my work, but I scanned the old 35mm photos, made with THREE Minolta XGM's and a whole bag full of lens & filters, at 400, 800 and even 1200 dpi, when the originals would support it, but the 200 kb limit on this site is severely restricting.  The following photos show what I had to crop off, just to get under the 200kb limit. On the 3 car, the original is 496kb's.  Oo the 4 car and RR pix both were only 303 kb's before croping for transmitting.   Some of my 66 year old WWII pix look amazing at 1200 dpi, but those files are measured in MB's not kb's.  Time to move into 21st century internet options.  

Thomas
    post edited by thart10 - 2010/06/05 05:50:25

Attached Image(s)

thart10
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/04 04:07:32 (permalink)
    Al Crosson

Nice diorama.  Would any of you modelers happen to know if the decal paper sold at Staples will work for making your own decals for plastic models?  I want to make up some decals for a specific 381st Bomb Group aircraft but am not sure if this is the correct decal paper.  Thanks for any info. 

Not familiar with that product.  Is it Water Slide or Dry Transfer?

Check you local "Hobby Shop", NOT the Hobby Lobby.  I've been out of it for awhile, but last time I looked, somebody (Testors, Model Craft or both, buy now) makes a Computer/Printer program that allows for homegrown, custom printing of decals.
    I've got a B17 F model that has been waiting 20 years for the proper set of decals.  I just found this photo, in a box at my Mom's house, a year ago. 

Attached Image(s)

thart10
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/04 06:33:40 (permalink)
    Silver Dollar

Hey thart, that's a great looking dio with some good photos.  What scale was that?

James, you've given me a great idea. I think I'm going to get one of those visible kits but instead of using the clear side straight out of the box, I'm going to sand it down, remove all of the goofy panel lines, thin the clear plastic and polish it to clear again.  That way, I'll really be able to see the interior detail.  Thanks for providing such a great example for me to follow.  Yours is the first one I've seen that really looks like it's supposed to. 

1/48th, done in 1985, so Dad got to see it.  I've got a 1/72 Hasagawa version that has been waiting 20 years for the proper decals.  The attached close up is what I've been waitng for.
    EDIT:  OOPS!  Bumped the photo, also available in a previous post, for pix of my model car.

Now for the Hobby Challege?  Have you ever actually "Sanded Down" CLEAR PLASTIC?

Tom's Tip of the Day:  If you don't have one, buy a Basic Dremel Tool set, (generic versions acceptable), some 80 and 2000 grit Wet/Dry Emery Paper, a Tube of Blue Luster Polish and a tube of Toothpaste ("Crest" or other BASIC brand) and a box of Q-Tips.

Find an old piece of "flat" clear plastic to practice on.  A 1/25th scale NASCAR windshield is a perfect test piece, there are thousands of them out there.  Scratch the heck out of it with the 80 Grit Paper.

Now, your challenge is to polish out those deep gouges and scratches, using only those products I've listed, without creating distortions in the plastic that will affect the ability to get a clear photo, through the plastic, when you're done. 
    Be careful of the speed when using a toothpaste loaded Q-Tip, cut in half and mounted in a Dremel Tool, to do the finishing polish or you'll get more in your eye than on the project. 

Tip 2.  Put a drop of dishsoap, Dawn works well, in the water you use for wet sanding.  The sanding will go much better, because the sanding dust will come out of the sandpaper much better.
    I've used the above techniques to remove slight imperfections from clear plastic pasts, before, but what you are contemplating is a major project.

If I'm telling you guys things you already know, that's cool.  But I'll leave them here for all the Noobs to find, once we're long gone. 

Why not just give the Clear side a light dusting of "Dull Coat" from an Air Brush to kill the reflective qualities?
    I have to challenge my own idea on this one.  I've never tried Dull Coat on CLEAR plastic, in any form.  Will it diffuse light so much that good photos can't be made through it of the super-detailling inside the plane.

I know this is a Military oriented forum, but my best work, so far, was done in NASCAR.
    If they had told me who wanted $5.00 to take pix of my model, I would have been happy to oblige.  Turns out it was "Scale Auto" magazine and instead of just a note on page 64 of the '93  Contest Annual, there would have been some really good pix.
    This model was retired from competition after this show.  Only got a Third Place.  The area judges got tired of seeing it on the tables.  3 1st, 2  2nd and a Third in ithree years is better than old DW did in the real car.
    This car is so detailed, right down the correct colors, (the Monogram Kit missed a layer of Grey on the rear end), complete fuel, brake and oil lines, Custom made ignition modules, real coil springs, dual Air valves in the wheels the "Goodyear" tires, with inner liners are mounted on.
    Iif you could take off the Air Cleaner, you'd see that even the spark plug wires, neatly routed through wire looms to the plugs, run back to the Distributor and are plugged in in the proper firing order.
    The only place I veared from facts is in the Driver's faceshield.  It should be tinted dark, but then you couldn't see how I learned to paint really scared eyeballs from a club member.  He was a Nuro-Surgeon that painted figures is all scales.  If anyone is interested, I'll try to explain his technique in a seperate thread.  But It appears our club died with Willy.  In 1991, we were The E. H. Miller chapter of the IPMS, known as "The Jolly Rogers".  I stepped back a few years to raise two dauighters.  When I come back, some folks in Kalamzoo are using our name, including "The Jolly Rogers".

"Life goes on.  Within you and without you!"

Attached Image(s)

thart10
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/04 07:23:26 (permalink)
    My only reason for replying to this old thread was to generate new interest in the subject.
    I'll take your replies as a YES!
    I've gone from making contest winners to building a historically correct model, based on one of the most well known photos from that era, in Australia.  The ultimate goal is that it is accepted for display at the "Gypsy" 93rd Bomb Squadron Museum at Barksdale AFB.
    If anyone here, has any info about the 19th Bomb  Group, please speak up now, if you want your stuff to also be included.  Show me what you got, the Lt Col in charge of the museum project is backed up six months, just looking though old photos for what he can use, since somebody lit a fire under it. :)  
    James Herndon
    Squadron Member
    Re:1/48 B17 G Ain't Miss Behavin' 3 2010/06/04 08:34:52 (permalink)
    Hey guys been busy getting ready for this weekend but will have some new photos and answers to the question on decals. I have Dial up at home but will HS this weekend at my gig.

Beandawg Artworks
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0